1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 silverado 5.3 trans issues or transfer case????????

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jstephens, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jstephens

jstephens Member

99 silverado 5.3 engine 4x4.electronic shift 4x4. symptoms .. are the truck does not move while engaged into 2wd. but i can hear something moving underneath , im only one person so i have not had someone look as to whats moving sounds like a driveshaft or something. when i put into 4x4 the truck drives ??? is this transfer case or transmission?
  2. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Could be your rearend. Put it in 4lo and on dirt, try to spin the tires. If it's the rear it will only spin the front. If all 4 spin, Go get a new T case
  3. Dnarvel

Dnarvel New Member

It does sound like a rear-end issue. As stated put it into 4-wheel and check tire spin. Hopeully it is just a minor problem in the rear, but it could be nasty if something sheared. Was there any rough driving lately? or did this appear out of no-where?
  4. jstephens

jstephens Member

does it doesnt sound like a trans issue?
  5. steverocks6

steverocks6 Member

i wouldnt recommend spinning tires as a diagnostic tool, will just cause more damage. but if the driveshaft spins but no movement of truck then that is a rear-end issue, and just because you seem confused on why you move in 4x4 is because your front driveshaft is moving so that would lead me away from the transfer case
  6. 07XCSB

10-12" isn't going to mess up anything else in the dirt. All he's got to do it just make a mark. He can also remove the rear diff cover and look at the gears. Should be able to tell if it's broken.

Does the truck have push button 4wd? The actuator could not be ingauging 2wd and staying in neutral.
  7. steverocks6

steverocks6 Member

he said it was electric shift and the actuator doesnt ingauge 2wd it engages 4wd. and its not the distance traveled as i suggested looking at the drive shaft, its the spinning of tires, there is no need to put strain on tranny, trans case, or rear-end when one of them could be messing up. but just buy the symptoms he stated im pretty sure the rear-end went
  8. 07XCSB

I missed the electric shift part. He also said he's working by himself, spinning the tire a little is safer than crawling under it with it in gear.
  9. jstephens

jstephens Member

i will def have two people so i can check if the drive shaft is turning,, can i rebuild the rear end or do i have to buy a whole rear end.. i seen the junk yard asking good money for them
  10. 07XCSB

You can rebuild it, It can cost between 150-700.00 just for parts, depending on whats broken.