1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1999 silverado chime noise while driving?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jstephens, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jstephens

jstephens Member

i have a 1999 z71 and recently has been sitting for awhile , i got in it to drive and noticed while driving it there is a dinging/chime noise that only goes off when you stop the truck? truck has never done this and im lost as to what is causing this/ its driving me nuts

2. jstephens

jstephens Member

could the ignition be bad?

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

are you getting any indicator lights? Brake warning? Could be low brake fluid in the master cylinder

4. jstephens

jstephens Member

no idicator lights.. ive never had this happen before? no one seems to know what it is either

5. Pikey

Bare with me while I try to work thru and eliminate some things. Does the interior lights turn on when you here the chime? I ask that because if it is ignition/ open door, keys in warning, then you can be looking at a door latch sensor or the push pin located on the side of the dash on the old body style. I am not sure if that model year had low window washer solvent warning chimes. Just to rule those things out I would check all the fluid levels. Brake fluid, coolant, washer solvent. When you say that it is only when you brake, it indicates that it is possibly low fluid somewhere and the braking action causes the fluid to move forward enough that it allows the sensor to be uncovered. My 02 silverado's coolant level sensor was really sensitive. If it was below the full line at all it would send me an error message on the DIC. When it chimes take a look at your gauges, See if everything looks normal. It could be a temp sensor acting up, or the fuel level sending unit. Really you need to check all the fluid levels and if it continues start looking for any clues such as the gauges acting funny.

6. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

make sure the red brake light does work with the "bulb check" when you first turn the key on. if the bulb doesnt work and your ebrake is on one click it might sound a chime.

7. jstephens

jstephens Member

i didnt mean to say it only does it when you brake .. its when the truck completly stops, i can break while driving and it still does it. also ive checked all fluids and havent noticed the brake light on at all. im lost , is there a way i can completly disconnect the e brake because it does not seem to even be working

8. Pikey

ok, now I am confused.
    You just said two different things in the same sentence. Is it when the truck completely stops or does it do it while you are driving?

9. jstephens

jstephens Member

nothing to be confused about.. the truck has a chime/dinging noise constantly while driving, when i come to a complete stop the noise stops , when i start moving again it starts again, when im slowing down with my brakes the noise is still constant, only when completly stopped is when the noise stops

10. Pikey

do you wear your seatbelt? Wait, it only happens while moving! Your OP said it only goes off when you stop the truck, I took it as it only sounds when you stop. You meant that it stops chiming when you stop the truck. I would take a look at the parking brake pedal, make sure it is not depressed just a small amount. Usually, the parking brake indicator flashes like crazy though if the pedal is depressed. It could be the switch for the pedal that is bad. I have never looked at one, but you may be able to just disconnect the switch and see if the noise stops.