1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 silverado prndl switch????????

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jstephens, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jstephens

jstephens New Member

i have a 99 silverado z71 , i bought it needing the trans rebuilt. recently i had it rebuilt and its having a problem with the gear indicator on the instrument cluster. all other gears it shows but when i go from a gear to drive it takes 2-3 seconds for the trans to go into drive. what could this be ? the guy who rebuilt it is telling me a prndl switch? is this correct
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Could be or some loose linkage...
  3. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Sounds like there is still a problem in the transmission. Did he give you a warranty with it? I'd say the problem isn't fixed, take it back.
  4. jstephens

jstephens New Member

1 year warranty in writing, i dropped it off and told him if thats what he thinks it needs then put it on . i told him i dont want to drive it like that and something happen to it. i want to pick it up shifting perfect like factory

5. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Me needs to do it for free
  6. jstephens

jstephens New Member

he said its not in the transmission so its not his fault
  7. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

It is in the transmission. He sounds super shady.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I would take it to another trans shop. Most will check it out for free. Don't tell them the situation with the other shop, they might be friends with the other guy. Just tell them the issue and let them tell you what they think is wrong. I have heard of a check valve being stuck open and letting the torque converter drain. So, when you put it in gear the converter needs to refill before the trans engages. That was on a 97 dodge ram though, I don't know much about GM transmissions.
  9. jstephens

jstephens New Member

its not in the trans its on the side by the linkage.. isnt everybody shady that does mechanic/trans work? the only person i trust is myself but since i cant rebuild one im stuck. i fear its something in the trans so thats why i told him to put one on it to see if it fixes it. if not he will be taking the whole trans out and figuring it out

10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I understand that the switch is not in the trans! I am saying that if you pay to replace the switch and it does not fix it then take it somewhere and have them check it out.