1999 Silverado - "Security" message stays on

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Gotechslack, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Gotechslack

Gotechslack New Member

Hello. I have the stated truck. The "Security" message came on while driving the other day. When I turned off the truck and started it, the message went off. This happens periodically, but not all the time. It can go days without coming on. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. derekj

derekj Rockstar

My Tahoe does that now and again. It also has the sticky fuel signal. Been like that for about 95000 miles.

3. jamison75

jamison75 New Member

i would say spend some money and get a code clearer or pull the code on it to find out why it is doing it n clear it or you can fix it either way it gives you more than one option ....mine comes on every now and again ....and drives me nuts...i hate have lil bells going off while im driving...or take it to a shop and have it taken out of puter

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In the Owners Manual it states that if the Security Message Light Stays On while the Truck is running, It is telling you that the Pass-Lock System is not working Properly and your Vehicle is Not protected by the Pass-Lock at that Time.... Check Fuse Circuit and if it is not the fuse, it should be looked at by the dealer.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. derekj

derekj Rockstar

I have tried the code reader, but it does not show any codes.

6. Gotechslack

Gotechslack New Member

Thanks. I appreciate it.

7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What's the fuse labeled?

- - - Updated - - -

Did this fix the problem?

8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Steve....on my 99 Silverado, the Fuse Box that is located in the Cab, on the Driver-Side, when you open the Drivers Door, and on the side of the Dash is where the Fuses for the Pass-Lock System....there's a couple of Fuses, and Relays for the Pass-lock System, but on the under-side of the Cover of the Fuse Box, its labeled, telling you what Fuse, is for what.