1999 Sub Shaking uphill

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Take em5, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Take em5

Take em5 New Member

My 1999 Suburban 1500 decided to begin shaking badly going uphill on a family vacation driving through the mountains last week. I cannot get the truck to perform over 70 mph now without shaking.

Anyone have any tips on what might be going on under there?

Much appreciated...

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's not unheard of for wheels to lose balancing weights. Probably the first thing I would do would be to get the tires balanced to make sure they aren't the source of the vibration. Then check engine and motor mounts to make sure the drivetrain is properly secured. Check driveshaft u-joints to make sure they are all tight.

3. Take em5

Take em5 New Member

thx Mr. Shorty. I had thought the same, but the engine also seemed to almost bog when I gave it additional gas up the hill at those speeds.

4. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

I had a similar issue which believe it or not turned out to be the fuel filter located by the frame under the drivers side, any time I had a good load pulling it just did not have the poop. On the reco of a friend I changed the filter and it now runs fine.

Phil

5. mehoff400

mehoff400 Rockstar 100 Posts

underneath the driver side door in the frame you will find the filter really easy to get to easy change cheap fix i would try that first

6. Take em5

Take em5 New Member

thanks much guys. I will give it a try.

7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

mine did the same thing and it was a cracked distributer drove fine except when you needed the power and boy did it shake, but thats what happens when you arent getting correct spark, mine is a 99 as well