1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1999 Suburban k2500 Slight AC Compressor tick ping or knock. Cold Air

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Vcvtrading, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Vcvtrading

Vcvtrading New Member

I have a 1999 Suburban. 5.7 engine. 130,000 miles. I have owned truck for 6 years. Never had an issue with AC, always ice cold. Last week the compressor started cycling on/off, and air was not cold. I went to parts store and bought DIY freon kit, with gauge. Filled to 35 psi. Now ice cold air. Compressor remains engaged. No leaks that I can see, and all good after a week of driving. But... I notice a very slight clicking or very low knocking sound coming from the compressor. It do not hear the sound until the engine reaches full operating temp. The sound can only be heard at idle and does not increase with RPMs. I can't hear the sound inside the truck, or while driving. I only hear it when standing in front or side of truck. I will be taking a 1200 mile trip to South FL next week. Is this something I should be concerned about? Any thoughts on trouble shooting?

Edit: I forgot to mention... Right after I added the new freon, I also changed the idler pulley, tension pulley and new belt, due to worn noisy pulleys. It was only after everything quieted down, I first heard the AC ping noise. So I do not know how long this has been going on.

Thsnk you, Shane.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013