1999 suburban starting problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by junkbin, Aug 27, 2008.

1. junkbin

junkbin New Member

I have replaced the high voltage module and my suburban still refuses to crank. I replaced the fuel pump and inline filter a couple months ago. I grind on the starter and it will not fire. Sometimes when I let go of the key it will hit a couple of times and die. When it does crank it backfires a few times and settles down like nothing is wrong. I have had this problem for a few months and it seems to have gotten worse. Could a coil cause intermitent problems? Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. Ben

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just about anything electrical can cause intermittent problems, so I'd have to say, yes the coil could cause intermittent problems. Of course, there are any number of other things that I could see potentially causing these symptoms, so we need to get from all the possible causes down to the real cause.

Probably the first thing I'd do would be to put a scanner/code reader on it and see if there are any trouble codes/pending trouble codes that could point to a problem. I had a no start once accompanied by a CKP trouble code that led us to look at the CKP circuit and eventually find a broken ground wire to the CKP sensor. A trouble code may help narrow the problem down quickly.

2nd thing I'd look at would be fuel delivery. Do you hear the fuel pump run when it won't start? What is the fuel pressure to the engine (spec is 60 psi and I've seen reports that it needs at least 45 psi to start/run)? If you pull a spark plug after it won't start, is it wet with fuel (indicating that fuel is getting into the cylinders)?

3. junkbin

junkbin New Member

Thanks. I'll give them a try.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Chevy Suburban Starter

Did this problem resolve itself? Just curious.

5. sdavis2702

sdavis2702 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm also curious because my truck hesitates to start a little bit as well. It also seems really lopey at about 1-2mph as in stopping at a light, but then taking my foot off of the break and just letting it roll. I was also thinking fuel delivery.