1999 Chevy Suburban, 2500, 4wd, 7.4 liter, 164,500 miles. I have a loose steering and vehicle wandering problem that my front end guy can’t figure out. It’s a reputable shop that was recommended to me by a friend. The shop owner is convinced that my new Michelin tires are the cause of the problem. Here’s the story. Last September I needed a new set of tires. The existing set of tires was a cheaper tire that eventually became out of round and could not be balanced. The entire vehicle shook very badly at 64 to 76 mph. I figured I had learned my lesson, so I went with a set of new tires, Michelin, LT265/75R 16M/S 2. The steering did not wander prior to the new tires. This is a slightly larger tire than what came on the truck from the factory. According to the optional equipment for this truck, you could have ordered this size tire from GM. I still had a vibration problem after the new tires and got a lot of run-a-round from the tire store. After the third time the guys at the tire shop told me it was fixed and not vibrating, I took the service tech and write up guy for a ride, where we were able to confirm what I was complaining about. It turns out that they had to balance a set of newer rear brake drums that were put on during a 4 wheel brake job in Sept of 2010 (146,800). As an aside, the rear brakes had to be redone in January 2011 due to leaking rear axle seals. The drums were turned then too (156,708). Oh by the way, the tire shop tried a another new set of drums and found those were more out of balance and said they caused an even worse vibration problem than the existing set of drums. Seems pretty strange to me. Anyway, basically the vibration problem has been fixed, but now the truck wanders around like I've had a few too many even after sinking another big chunk of cash into it. The front end shop owner says the front end is tight and is in factory spec alignment. Have you ever heard of a set of tires displaying this problem? Any ideas what the problem might be? How do I identify it, or help a shop identify it? And if it is the tires, how do I convince the tire shop it’s the brand new Michelin tires? Please help. Thanks. Kurt Here's a rundown of the work that's been done in the last few years and up to the present. And on another note, any ideas about these axle seals and/or why I keep eating sets of brakes? 1-17-13, 164,000 Realign front end. 1-3-13, 163,628. Remove rebuilt steering gear box. Replace with GM/Delco rebuilt steering gear. Front end alignment 8-17-12. 161,932. Rebuilt steering gear box. EVO refit. Front end alignment. 8-15-13, 161,800 R & R Upper Control Arm Bushings, R + L R & R broken front anti-sway bar links/bushing. Front end alignment. 7-27-13, 161,190 4 Michelin LT265/75R 16M/S 2 Hunter Variation Force Balance tires. Balance rear brake drums. 7-26-13, 161,156 R & R RF Lower Ball Joint. Front end alignment. 1-27-11. 156,708 R & R LR Axle Seal R & R Rear Brake Shoes, Hardware, & Self-adjuster. Machine rear brake drums. 11-18-10, 150,174 Clean, adjust rear brakes. Machine rear brake drums. 9-14-10. 146,800 R & R Front brake pads & rotors. R & R Rear brake shoes & drums. Adjust rear brakes. 4-29-10. 136,502 R & R LF Upper and Lower Ball Joints R & R L CV/Axle Shaft Front end alignment. 4 Wheel Balance.