1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1st Long Road Trip Pulling Our Camper

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by WYLD, Jul 23, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. WYLD

WYLD New Member

Hello all I am new to this forum. My wife and I are planning our first long road trip from the mountains of Wyoming to Boise, ID pulling our 19 ft camper. We have a 1997 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban with the 7.4l engine, the chassis has 110,000 miles, but a brand new engine was installed 35,000 miles ago. I just replaced the fuel pump this week, it died on our first long road trip on the way back from Denver, CO. I changed the oil yesterday and had the coolant checked. I thought I would get the transmission serviced before we hit the road in two weeks, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum had other suggestions of things I might want to consider doing in preparation for this trip. I would like to avoid any breakdowns if possilbe :happy:

Thanks for any suggestions or advice you can provide.
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

Welcome.
    It sounds like you're on the right track for maintenance. I did the tranny on mine before our trip, just to be sure. Do you have an aux. cooler?
    When was your last alignment? A/C check?

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck, put up some pictures,
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Personal thought, only change the fluid, skip the power flush option.
    Kick the tires and check the air.
    Have a good time. Camping with the family is the best!
    Keep some water if youre not sure how she'll do on the grades this time of the year.
  4. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome! Remember to check the air in the spare tire as well...I only bring this up because I had a flat one time and changed the tire only to realize my spare was flat as well. Have fun!
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

At least check the rear axle lube, if not change it. Also, if you have 4x4, transfer case and front axle lube. I also would suggest staying away from a transmission flush. Drop the pan, change the filter, fill it back up. That big block should be fine hauling that little camper. When you are towing, check your tire temps with your hand everytime you stop. Truck and trailer. Do you have a spare for the trailer too, and the tools to change?

I blew three trailer tires this past week. Not prepared, what a PITA.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 on what 2COR said. Don't get a transmission flush unless the fluid is in very bad condition. Think about synthetic oil in the transmission, transfer case and diffs.
  7. WYLD

WYLD New Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Several of you have mentioned skipping the transmission flush, what is the reason for this? Is it because it might dislodge debris that can cause transmission issues?
  8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The term "flush" usually means changing all the fluid in the transmission. This is OK if done along with changing the filter. Most quickie lubes "flush" the transmission without dropping the pan and changing the filter. That being said the only reason to change all the oil is if the fluid is real dirty. If your fluid is clean just a regular pan drop and service is all you need. If the fluid is real bad then take it to a shop that will drop the pan and change the filter before flushing the transmission. As a rule quickie lubes do not drop the pan because there are just too many pan gaskets and filters to keep in stock and they can't afford to tie up a lift waiting for parts, which may be wrong after they get there.
    If you do need a flush or just want to do it a good transmission shop or the dealer will assure the job will be done correctly.
  9. WYLD

WYLD New Member

Okay that helps. I was planning on taking to the GMC dealer and having them do a service and flush. My main thought was that I am not sure of the complete history of the vehicle. Should I ask the dealer if they are going to drop the pan and filter before they flush or is this a common practice? When I test the fluid it looks used, but I am not sure if it is dirty, it doesn't smell burnt.
  10. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member 100 Posts

Good luck on your trip. Make sure that you have a good set of tools with you and a flash light. You should be good. That's a beautiful drive this time of year. I assume you're going through Yellowstone. Be safe and get some good pics.

-Greg