1st oil chg when? chg to synthetic when?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by LDB, Oct 16, 2009.

1. LDB

LDB New Member

I've got a new 2009 Express 3500 with the 6.0 gasoline engine. Owner's manual recommendations aside, at what mileage would you do the first oil change? At what mileage would you make the change to synthetic oil? I presume the oil percentage life remaining can't differentiate mineral and synthetic oil so how does one accommodate the longer intervals between changes? When changing to synthetic do you stick with 5W-30 weight? Anything else about this I should know but don't know enough yet to ask?

2. LDB

LDB New Member

Anyone? When did you guys do your oil changes? Anyone changed over to synthetic and when did you do that?

3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not sure about when you should do the first change, but I'm sure you can make the switch to synthetic right away. I bought my truck about a year and a half years ago with 60K miles. I switched to synthetic with no problem. I stuck with the stock recommended oil weight (5W30). I've been running Mobil 1 full synthetic for over a year and change it about every 6000 miles. The truck is running great. Hope that helps!

4. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

When I bought my new motor home I was told not to switch to synthetics until after the 10,000 mile oil change. This came from "Workhorse" whose chasis is used (8.1L Chevy engine). Good luck!

5. mainec

mainec Rockstar

I changed mine after about 3k. I have been thinking about switching to synthetic myself. Always wondered if it was worth it.

Charles :sign0011:

[​IMG]

6. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

I changed mine at 3400 miles and went with Mobil 1.

7. brianj

brianj Rockstar

Personal opinion- If you change your oil regularly and on time, why bother with synthetics? They last longer, and do not break down as soon- but even standard oils last three thousand miles and three months.If it is a delivery vehicle that runs ten hours a day, every day, or you run in realy extreme conditions, maybe, but if you are ging to change it at three thousand miles, it seems to me that there is no point to it. I do run synthetic in my pickup, but that is because I go places where I will wake up in the morning and it is -20 degrees out, and the synthetics do not gell up as badly as conventional oils. All of my other vehicles run good quality standard oils.

8. mainec

mainec Rockstar

Well that seems to make sense.

Charles :sign0011:

[​IMG]

9. LDB

LDB New Member

I should have included the van will be driven high mileage in numerous states and possibly occasionally into Canada so temps can vary widely. I don't subscribe to the 3mo/3k rule anymore. I follow the oil change interval in my Honda and that's around 7k miles in my car. The van will idle more than a normal personal use vehicle as well as running in a larger geographic area than most.

10. brianj

brianj Rockstar

Synthetic oil will never hurt your car. Doing 7000 mile changes, yes, I would use synthetic, and the extra cost will be offset by the extended time between changes. Otherwise, I would not bother.