1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1st. post...1st. truck problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gypsy jim, Apr 13, 2009.

1. gypsy jim

gypsy jim New Member

All,
    My name is Jimmy. I purchased a 2008 Silverado, 6 cyl., automatic, with 8000 miles last Friday. I took it to work today, a seventy mile round trip. Going to work everything was normal. Halfway home the check engine light came on. Engine temp. seemed normal @ 210 degrees F. The transmission temp toppped out @ 195 before arriving home. I called the dealer and will take it to him for testing/code checks (8 miles away). I looked in the manual for the normal operating temp. for the trans, as 195 seems high. My questions are: what is normal operating temp for the trans? Are the check engine light and trans connected? Thanks in advance for info or suggestions. Jimmy
  2. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone Rockstar 100 Posts

195 is a little high, at least for a v8 with no load or anything. mine usually runs around 135-140 but when i'm towing something heavy or hauling im usually up around 200-215ish. im not sure if v6 are different then the v8s.

this was a post a few weeks ago that was discussed on here. take a look if you're interested http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19946

and, welcome to the site!
    1 person likes this.