1st Time Chevy Owner Says 'Hi'

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by texasmuser, Jan 4, 2009.

1. texasmuser

texasmuser New Member

Just bought a new '08 Silverado 1500 WT (Work Truck). Bare-bones. Actually, it's for my son (he paid half). He's got no desire (at least not yet) to "trick-it-up"; the only thing he really wants is chrome wheels. He's got no money (and won't have for a long time), and I'm not about to shell out the $$$ for new chrome wheels when the factory steel wheels don't look that bad (at least compared to the Ford F-150 base model wheels). He's got a birthday coming up real soon and I know the only thing he would want is chrome wheels . . .
    So my alternatives are:
    1) buy these chrome "skins": http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...50306533532&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem
    2) find out how much it would cost to have the factory steel wheels chromed and maybe pursue that route, or
    3) maybe find some used chrome wheels that would work.

What do ya'll think? Any ideas/thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

texasmuser

2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC. I would keep an eye out on craigs list, local papers, and eBay for inexpensive rims. I'm not much for skins, chroming up the factory rims, I believe, will cost you a few pennies, and may as well get something that's exactly the look you want - attainable by purchasing new/used chrome rims. Just my $.02

3. 808hoe

808hoe Member

if its going to be a work truck i would probably go with the chrome skins, then some used chrome rims.

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

X2 on checking your local Craigslist as many people have sets of premium "take-offs" when they upgrade wheels and tires on their new trucks so you might even find a nice wheel and tire combo for cheap!

5. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

6. CoDaChrome

CoDaChrome Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the site :great:

7. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site! "DITTO" on the Craig's List, the "take offs" is where I've gotten my last three sets of rims and tires, good luck!

8. ramrunnr

ramrunnr New Member

Welcome to the site. Just to echo everyone else Craigs list is a great place to look not just for the rims but for other parts that you may want in the future. I was looking for something else and "accidentally" found some parts I was needing for my Honda. (drivers front fender). Just keep your eyes peeled for deals!

9. WildEyedDream

WildEyedDream Member

Welcome to the site, nice place to hang out. Congrats on the new truck.

10. sdavis2702

sdavis2702 Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to GMTC... happy modding!