1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2.2L Sonoma Engines

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by JimmyD, Jul 17, 2008.

1. JimmyD

JimmyD New Member

I have a '96 Sonoma w/2.2L I-4 engine, apparently the engine was replaced and spun the #3 main bearing slightly(1/4 turn max). Upon disassembley, and inspection, found out there are several differant engine blocks and crankshafts/bearings for this engine model. It appeares that I have a '98 and up replacement block with a '96 crankshaft installed. The engine builder used '96 bearings in the '98 block and apparently ground the locating tabs off of the center bearing(#3) to make it fit in the block. Can anyone direct me to a source for accurate information about this engine or help me figure out what is needed to replace the crankshaft in this engine as it only has approx. 25,000 on a complete engine and cyl. head rebuild ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. John W

John W Rockstar 100 Posts

If a main turned I would have it line bored and the proper bearings put in. If it isn't line bored and any real pressure was put on the journal just replacing the bearing might not be enough. It wouldn't be too nice if you replaced the bearings and then had to do it all over again in a month or so.