Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2.8 liter 5 speed

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by Corv8, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Corv8

Corv8 New Member

Hi

I have been lurking for awhile but this is my second post.

Will a 5 speed trans from a early 80's 2.8 liter work with a small block chev. .

thanks for your time.

Al
  2. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 Rockstar 100 Posts

no, it won't fit. the 2.8 was a 60* motor, the 4.3 and small blocks are 90* motors.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You dont want to mate that trans with a V-8, there are a few companies that make adaptors and the package can be cobbled together but the result would be a blown up trans even under the best conditions. The rear under that truck is also suspect and wont last long behind the power of the smallest V-8.
    If your doing a swap do the whole drivetrain from radiator to rear axle and all between.
  4. Corv8

Corv8 New Member

I am asking for a friend who has a 87 G-body frame with a 4 speed now , he wanted to know if the 5 speed would work. are the splines the same . basically his thought was could it just bolt up to his existing bell housing and off to the races type of thing.
    it is in a auto cross car . a G body frame with a 67 Corvair body. currently has a malibu 4 speed in it now. he has the 5 speed in a S 10 and wondered of it would work.

thanks guys.

Al