1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2.8l to 4.3l engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by chriscolehawk, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

I wouldn't worry about fuel pumps, a good electric pump and a pressure regulator for carb'd engines aren't that expensive and would probably perform better in the long run. As far as I can tell 3.4's were EFI but as you are only going to use the short block that should matter. Go forth and play happy. 8~{))
  2. chriscolehawk

chriscolehawk New Member

Could I not just installed the intake and carb from the 2.8 and make a fuel pump work with it?
    I planned on buying the 3.4 crate long block, swapping everything over and putting it in..
  3. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

Well yeah I reckon you could but you would also have to transfer the ignition system over as well because the 3.4 is computer controlled. You might be better of to just swap in the whole 3.4 with ECM and harness, then get a stock 3.4 fuel pump. Hook up the power, do the plumbing let her rip. Or you could locate a donor vehicle with a good running 4.3 "w" code in it that has been rear ended or totaled without involving the engine and swap it over lock, stock and barrel. Then you'll have plenty of go power.
  4. chriscolehawk

chriscolehawk New Member

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but what would I need the computer for? If the engine was designed to be a replacement engine for the 2.8 why couldn't I just mount everything up from the 2.8 and go?

- - - Updated - - -

I have short time frame to swap the engine. The 2.8 is starting to smoke and I'm wanting more power, not a lot more but just a little more then the 2.8 has.

Its also v-belt setup.. Is this going to effect anything if its even possible with what I'm trying to do without a computer?
  5. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

There's nothing stopping you, my grey cells were just spasing out. As long as you get the fuel and ignition systems from the 2.8 I think it should work. At the outside you might have to get an after market distributor but like I said that's at the far outside. I just happened to think you will have to do a little work on the carb jets so it can properly feed the larger displacement. You don't want your new engine to run lean and burn a piston.
  6. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

i agree. You will still need an aftermarket electric fuel pump as the 3.4 does not have an engine mounted pump. No biggie there as they are fairly inexpensive. You will need a bigger carb. Holley makes a great 300-350 cfm 2 barrel that would work great. If you want to get more oomph and better mileage, install an adapter plate And run their 350cfm 4 barrel. With a tuned 4 barrel, you would also get better mpg. 8) tell me that is not a plus!
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

There is a good chance you will not be able to use the distributor either. The block may not have a hole and the cam will not have a gear to drive the dist shaft.
  8. BurbanMan

thats an excellent point.
  9. chriscolehawk

chriscolehawk New Member

Great bit a help here!! Thanks a bunch.
    Now I'm crying about this damn distributor. I'm calling about buying the engine soon and I'll check with them to see if it will work for me.
  10. BurbanMan

see if he has the wire harness and computer too. It wouldn't take much longer to tuck the wiring and mount the computer behind the glove box or under the pass seat