2.8l to 4.3l engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by chriscolehawk, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

3. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

Yup, unless he's willing to go full electronic control and EFI the 3.4 is not what he wants, He's be better off doing a full rebuild of his 2.8 with a few performance parts thrown in to boost the power output.

4. BurbanMan

I don't recall where I saw it, but I remember seeing a turbo 2.8 build a few years ago. I recall seeing some really impressive numbers with just a turbo and a can upgrade!

5. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

I think he is working on a budget and a turbo would break the bank. Stock HP for a 2.8 is 115 and for a 3.4 is 160, with a rebuild and a hi-perf cam, a better carb and if it fits the budget and he can find one a better flowing manifold he should able to get about 135 out of the 2.8.

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think if it was me, I'd go with the original typing error.......................................I'd install a 4.3

Find one that uses a distributor and convert the TBI to a carb (unless the 2.8 has a TBI, I didn't go back to read the posts).

7. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

His 2.8 has a carb, he said he didn't want to fool with electronic ignition, but I'm afraid he might have to unless he goes whole hog and puts in an early SBC. Then the world of carbs and distributors would be wide open.

8. BurbanMan

Yeah. The 4.3 or v8 are pretty much his only options at that point

This used to be the home of a 2.5. I cut notches in the cross member so I could bolt in the 4.3 perches/mounts and put a 4 barrel on it. Only thing I had to work was the alternator wire. Using a 700r4 allowed me to retain the oe trans cross member and drive shaft

Attached Files:

9. Gramps43

Gramps43 Member 1 Year

Sweet looking installation, what year is the engine and how much do you reckon it cost you to do it? I notice you are not using the tensioner and A/C delete, what belt are you using to spin everything else?

10. BurbanMan

I used a tensioner and standard belt with ac delete pulley. Engine is an 89

Cost? I'm a cheap bastard lol and I was still in high school. I used second hand or salvage parts

Engine: $150
    Intake: $250?
    Carb: $50
    Misc. gaskets: $50
    Tranny: $100