2" vs. 2.25" vs 2.5" leveling kits???

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by elittle, May 9, 2013.

1. elittle

elittle New Member

I just went to a shop today and had them order a ready lift leveling kit for my 2012 silverado 1500. I've been reading a lot of threads on here and notice people are using several different inch sizes. My truck is 4x4 and has the Z71 package, and I told the shop to order me a 2" level kit, but now that I'm seeing they make 2.25" and 2.5" how do I know which size will make the truck the most level?

I read that the Z71 adds a 2" block to the back, so I was assuming that adding a leveling kit of 2" to the front would make it match but now I'm unsure.

Thanks for any help.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

The best way to find which leveling kit you need is to measure from the top of the front tire to the bottom of the wheel well lip, then measure from the top of the rear wheel to the bottom of the wheel well lip.
    Then compare the measurements, you'll achieve a level stance by having equal measurements.
    Each truck even though similarly equipt as another can sometimes have as much as a 1/2" difference in measurements so dont go by someone elses measurements do your own to make sure it's accurate.
  3. elittle

elittle New Member

Yeah, why couldn't I think of that... thanks man. Rear gap is 9.5" front is 7.5", so the 2" should work fine. Thanks!
  4. undertheradar

undertheradar New Member

If you haul anything in your pick up over 200lbs, you will have a negative rake if you go with the 2" leveling kit. Meaning the 2" will completely level it when the bed is empty. Then as soon as a bag of dog food, a cooler full of ice/ beer in your truck the rear end will sag. Id go with the 1" to 1.5" so you still have some rake before hauling.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a 2", then ordered a 2" rear block. It replaced the stock 1.25" block but it all made the truck too stiff for my taste. I took it all off and put the 1" on and love it.
  5. cain73

cain73 New Member

I went with the 2.5 level kit up front and 3" block in the rear. Still provides a little rake for tow/haul but looks close to level with nothing weighing down the back. I just put on 275/70/18 Toyo AT2 tires too
    truck pic1.jpg
  6. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

I installed a 2.5" level kit to my Sierra 4x4 "non" Z71 and my truck is level! But as said earlier, a load changes the effect. Make sure that you adjust the head lights after your decision......
  7. RadoRage

RadoRage New Member

I put a 1.5" level lift on mine. It still has a slight rake (which i like) and doesnt look like a boat when I load the bed. Whatever your choice, I'd recommend allowing a .5-1.0" difference between the two if you dont want that look when hauling.