1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

20 gallons of unleaded gasoline in diesel fuel tank

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by gmidiot, Apr 9, 2011.

1. gmidiot

gmidiot New Member

OK, it's my first post here, and I know you guys are goiing to have a real party with this one. I pulled my 99 Chev Suburban (diesel) into the Citgo Station and pumped 20 gallons of 87 octane gasoline into the fuel tank. I realized what I had done just as I replaced the fuel cap and drove the vehicle only about 50' into a parking spot. The obvious question is what do I need to do? If I need to drain the fuel tank, what is the easiest and best way to do that? Thanks for any help you can provide. :neutral:
  2. Matt3PO

Matt3PO New Member

Ahh, people do it every day. I have a company van that is diesel and I wait for the day I do it. I'm not sure what to do, I don't know diesels. On a gas engine, you can hook a hose up to the fuel rail and just let the fuel pump run. Only thing I have heard, is if a diesel runs out of fuel, it has to be primmed some how, so that may become a problem. I am sure a diesel guy will reply soon enough.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Simply siphon off the gas. places like walmart etc sell hand pumps that will do just fine. And then add diesel into the tank. There is no need to prime the 6.5L since it will simply push any air thru the system.
  4. gmidiot

gmidiot New Member

Mike: Thanks for the info - do you know if there is an anti-siphon device in the tank that will prevent me from getting a siphon hose all the way in?
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Not in the Older GM trucks. so should be a straight job.
  6. gmidiot

gmidiot New Member

Thanks - have a great day!
  7. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 New Member

Do it ASAP as if you put gas with ethanol in it will react with the diesel. It tends to turn to a bit like jello. A small amount won't hurt, but 20 gal in a tank that size will cause problems. Bad memory from one of the guys I use to haul gas with. 3500 gal. of 87 octane with 10% eth. into 6500 gal. of diesel at a station. Just glad it wasn't me that time. LOL
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, gmidiot. You are right we are having a real party with this one. Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.
  9. gmidiot

gmidiot New Member

OK - here is the rest, and I hope the end of the story. I went to Auto Zone and purchased an $11.00 siphon pump and six 5 gallon fuel containers @$13.00 each). The hose for the siphon pump went into the fuel tank fairly easy after pushing by what felt like an anti-siphon ball valve. I pumped out about 15 gallons of fuel and then the siphon stopped because the hose was too short to reach the bottom of the tank. I went to Lowes and bought 10' of tubing and finished pumping out all the fuel in the tank (about 27 gallons - it took about 30 minutes with the siphon pump). Filled the tank with 43 gallons of fresh diesel (it's only a 40 gallon tank - WTF!!) and drove the truck for the rest of the day. The engine never missed a beat. Now I'm looking for a business that disposes of contaminated fuel - wonder what that will cost!! :happy:

Thanks to everyone who offered advice - it was much appreciated.
  10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Glad you got it taken care of. How about just burning the fuel?? LOL. Thats what we would do here in Alabama. LOL.