20 inch wheels on stock Z71

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by PaUltraBob, Dec 30, 2011.

1. PaUltraBob

PaUltraBob New Member

Dealer told me that 20 inch wheels will not fit a stock chevy Z71. Something about the suspension,shocks the 20 inch wheels won't work. Anyone know if this is true. Running stocks 17 inch wheels and tires now. THANKS for any help, PaUltraBob:neutral:

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What year Z71 are you asking about??....... I'm running Factory 20in" Alloy Rims, with 275/55 Tires and with this setup I have no issues the Suspension.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The newer trucks have a 18in Wheel on the Z71 pkg I run a 20 in Summer time...No Problems

4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did not have a Z71 but I did have a 09 Sierra 4x4. It came from the factory with 20's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. PaUltraBob

PaUltraBob New Member

I have a 2009 chevy Z71. I have seen 2012 4x4 without the Z71 pkg with 20 inch wheels ,but for some reason not on a truck WITH the Z71 pkg. THANKS , PaultraBob

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've seen a couple late model Z71's with 20" wheels around town, but I dont think they were factory wheels.

7. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It's the ride Pkg The stiffer shocks work better with more tire less Wheel, This is why the Z71 pkg comes with 18's for the past few years..

8. Corso

Corso Member

I've been running 20s on my stock Z71 for over 125K miles. No issues whatsoever.

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

Mike, that's a really sharp looking truck!

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

^^^^^^ That was weird. Lol. Not sure why it did that?

9. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The Z71 Won't make a difference on the wheels you are able to run - the physical clearances are all the same as the normal suspension, its just stiffer. It's because of the stiffer suspension that GM won't give it 20's - they also make the ride stiffer and people would complain. And since the Z71 is an 'off road' package, it needs the extra sidewall in the tire from the factory in case people do take it off roading. I run 20's on my 2003 Z71 Avalanche and had them on my 2001 non-Z71 silverado before it and have never had a problem on either.

Mike, Is your truck a Z71? I had always pegged it as a 2WD truck.

10. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Peter......No its not a Z71.....its a 2WD I should have mentioned that in my reply above, I was just expressing that I'm running with Factory 20in" Rims and have no issues with them.....and BTW Peter.....Happy New Year....:party: