20" wheels to 17" wheels for winter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BigDogTruck, Dec 13, 2010.

1. BigDogTruck

BigDogTruck New Member

Just asking a question about changing wheels from 20" to 17" wheels for the winter. Is there any problems with the computer or anything? The 20" performance tires are lousy in the snow. Thinking of changing to the 17" with good snow tires just for the winter.

2010 Chev Silverado Crew cab 4 x 4 LTZ

Bill
    Brook Park, OH

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I just put my Stock 18's on.. I run 20's in the warm months.. I just reset the Program with my Superchips..

With the tires what is the size ?

3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't know if you need a different sized rim. There are good tires for the 20" rims. The Cooper Zeon LTZs and the Goodyear Dura Trac are two that guys on here have used. I considered getting a set of ATs for the winter, but putting them on my 20" rims.

4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Remember sometimes it's not the tire but the chrome rims.. They don't like Salt.....

5. BigDogTruck

BigDogTruck New Member

The tire diameter from my 20" wheels to the stock alloy 17" tires AT are almost the same by a friction. So there should not be a real difference in speedo and ABS issues.

6. jwco5.3

jwco5.3 Rockstar 100 Posts

Ya there wont be any issues as long as you are around the same total diameter for the tire. Chrome definately is destroyed in winter. Just make sure the tires you put on are all the same size so you dont destroy anything in 4X4.

7. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I make this change every year with no issues, summer size is 305/50/20 winter size is 265/70/17. The reason I do it is to protect my chrome rims. The 20" tires are slightly taller but not enough to affect computer/abs. 17's are the original tires that came on the truck. As far as all terrains in 20" size they are pretty pricey, but in my opinion you want a skinnier tire for the snow anyway, so I'd go with a skinnier 17" wheel tire combo.

Winter set

[​IMG]

Summer set

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. Artomatic

Artomatic New Member

Maybe off subject.. But does your truck sit higher w/ the 20" rims than the 17s??

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If the Tire Size...(Overall Diameter) is the same....the Truck will Not Sit Higher.....between the 17in' Rim or a 20in Rim.

Example,

A 17in'......Rim that has a Tire Size of......265/70/17....the Overall Diameter of that Tire is .........31.7in's

A 20in'......Rim that has a Tire Size of.......275/55/20.....the Overall Diameter of that Tire is.........31.9in's.

As you can see.....there is almost no difference in Overall Diameter between the 17in' tire and the 20in' tire.....the truck would sit at the same high-ed.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Maybe a little, difference in overall tire diameters is around 1/2", so it is a little taller, but not so as you'd notice.