Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2000 3/4 ton burb Gas tank leaking & fuel pump replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Icy Mike, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Icy Mike

Icy Mike New Member

The tank leaks when full but not leaking from the filler port. Seal around the fuel pump perhaps??? Figured I would replace the fuel pump while the tank is down. I have been looking online for a pump and have been pretty confused. All the pumps I have found are either for a forward or rear tank. My burb only has one tank. Also, are there any brands I should avoid purchasing? Should I replace the wiring harness as well? Thanks

Icy Mike

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yes you want to replace the in tank wiring... A good sending unit/pump should already have that. Also once you get the tank down you might be better suited to check and see what shape the tank is in/where it is leaking from that area that is washed clean...
    As to the forward/rear tank. I believe in the 2000 was a switch over year so the 1992-2000 (old body style burbons) had a rear mounted tank. And from what i understand and have seen the new body style the tank is in front of the axle.
    AND NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy a Carter pump. Best bet is to buy a Delphi, or AC delco. Also i am sure other memebers have mor input into this as well.

3. saxart

saxart New Member

Mike-
    Can I ask which body-style Suburban you have?

I'm curious because I also have a 2000 3/4 ton (newer body style) that has a similar problem. It doesn't LEAK gasoline, but whenever I'm at the back of the vehicle, I can smell gasoline, so I'm wondering if you and I possibly have the same issue.

Perhaps together we can figure this out...

4. Icy Mike

Icy Mike New Member

I have the LT 2500 body style. Mine started as the smell of gas from the rear of the truck as well and morphed into a slight dripping when full. And now it will pour out pretty good if we fill the tank. We dare not fill it much over half a tank in order to play it safe. Next step is to drop the tank and put eyes on it. That won't be for another month or so when time allows. I'm thinking it may be the seal for the fuel pump. A guy I work with said he had a similar issue on a 99 suburban when one of the straps securing the tank rubbed a hole in the tank. Hope that's not the case.

Mike

5. chipjumper

chipjumper New Member

Icy Mike - I know its been 2.5 years since brought up how your upper tank went kaput but can you elaborate? My 2001 K2500 Burban seems to leak out a fair amount of fuel when I top it off. Did you find conclusive evidence on how it was leaking? I just checked it today for about half and hour and even parked it farther up the snow to see if I could locate any leak. I didn't find anything. But the other day it looks like several gallons were doused on the ground in the general area of both front and rear tanks.