2000 burb cassette in console...what else can go there? Also OnStar Gripe

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by campinhappy, Aug 17, 2007.

1. campinhappy

campinhappy New Member

We just picked up a new(er) 2000 suburban today and in the front console there is this antique thing called a cassette tape player :shocked: that hooks up to the radio/cd in the dash.

What creative ideas has anyone had to remove this thing (Haven't used a cassette in years) and maybe put a GPS, IPOD thingy, etc...

It looks like there's a lot of room under that console, but I'm not sure yet.

Also OnStar...what's up with this cutoff of service as of December? Has anyone found out if they will ever offer an upgrade or is the space on the dash now wasted?

Thanks A lotsy!

Campinhappy

2. chronoguy

chronoguy New Member

bringing this topic back from the dead.

Anyone have anything they replaced in that cubby? A single din unit?

3. campinhappy

campinhappy New Member

Din unit?

What's a din unit?

4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

buy the little OEM self thing that goes in there if you didnt get the tape deck. Thats where my ipod sits and the ran the cable into that little cubby. Cant be seen from outside the vehilce, very conveniant

5. chronoguy

chronoguy New Member

A din is a measurement for car stereo. my Burb fits a 1.5 din and a single din. Newer ones fit double din which is big enough to house those nifty incar nav units. I want to fit a single din stereo there.

6. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

oq

Old post originally but...

I guess it depends on what you have on the truck right now and what you plan on putting on it. I'm a sucker for after-market stuff, especially things that have buttons and/or light up and/or need switches.

Do you have plans to put a plow on the truck? What about sticking the controls there?
    Fog/driving/spot/off-road lights? Perfect place to put switches.
    Would a couple small gauges fit? What about digital gauges for something?
    If you have a system in the truck, that's spot is perfect for a small equalizer if you like that kind of thing.
    Do you have enough accessories plugs? Could always put three or four extra ones there.
    Enough room there for a programmer?

Battery Level:
    [​IMG]

7. areotreker

areotreker New Member

I use the cassette player to run my iPod threw a cassette converter I got from radio shack.