2000 Chevy 2500 shakes when I hit the brakes

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by chris0061, Jan 24, 2011.

1. chris0061

chris0061 New Member

Hello all, I picked up a 3/4 ton chevy a couple weekends ago and it did'nt do it when I test drove it but when I got it out on the highway and applied the brakes the truck liked to vibrate apart. Took it home and heres what I did after taking it to NTB, replaced the idler and pitman, I could see they were very wobbly, Still did it, replaced the two brake lines to the callipar, still did it, applied the emergency brake to stop and it really did it so I replaced both drums, no shaking apliying the emergancy brake. Normal brake it was still there, replaced both rotors and new bearings installed. Still did it at highway speed not in town. Replaced both sets of pads and it is still doing it. If I appliy the brakes very gently on the highway it won't do it so bad untill I have to put some preasure on them. Still in town you can't hardly notice any vibration. Actually its more of a severe shake when it does it and you really can't feel it in the peddle and much as you can the steering wheel and the entire truck shakes. I'm lost here. Everything is tight on the front end, had the driveshaft checked, good, the rearend seems fine. Any thoughts on my next step??????????

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Did you have the alignment checked after you replaced the idler & pitman arms? Not enough toe in, or not enough positive caster will cause this. Does your truck waunder when you let go of the steering wheel? If the brake pedal doesn't pulsate (jump up & down) then this is no longer a brake problem. This sounds like an alignment problem or possibly a tire separating.

3. chris0061

chris0061 New Member

I can let go of the steering wheel and it will hold true for about as long as I let it. I had the tires checked and balanced. I was going to get it alighned but NTB said upper ball joints were starting to get bad, When they originally checked it out they never said anything about that so made me think they were just after money. I lifted the truck on one side after they said that and I did'nt get any movement from anywhere under there. The truck will however all of a sudden make a little move to the left at certain times and I did notice it pull just a little to the right when braking.

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

OK, ball joints being worn out could be your problem. (maybe even just one) You may be right about NTB wanting to suck up all the gravy work first since ball joints is a biotch job.
    When you check for ball joint play, you can't just jack it up & hope to see the play. Look at how the joints are arranged & you will see that you have to apply pressure against the joint(s) normal rest position to see if there is excessive play. If you haven't already checked them, I would also look at the tie rod ends.

5. chris0061

chris0061 New Member

Allright I'll get it check out. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks

6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Tie rod ends can cause your symptoms. Double check them, or try another shop.

7. chris0061

chris0061 New Member

Just wanted to update the problem. I took it to another shop when I heard a ping in the rearend develop. Thanks God it was a ujoint. So that was going out causing some shaking. Also the man found that the new drums were already out of round. I had the old ones in the back of the truck so he turned them and found that whoever did the break job before I got it put the shoes on backwards, big shoe on back little on front. That must have been causing the problem cause now it drives like new. I hesitated taking it to this mechanic cause he charges for everything they do right down to the test drive to diagnose but if you got a problem that needs FIXED and not just mended I've learned that a little more money spent is worth it. Thanks for all the help. OH, I took the two drums that I bought back and got a refund.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Glad your truck is fixed

Why should he work for free?

9. 2smug

2smug Former Member

glad you got it fixed!

10. Jtipps78

Jtipps78 New Member

Hello! Im having the same problem to, with my 2000 1500 chevy 4x4. So you replaced the back brakes to fix the problem is that right?