1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Chevy Silverado - Late/No shifts & Whiny 4WD

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Fraterado1855, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Fraterado1855

Fraterado1855 New Member

2000 Chevy Silverado - Late/No shifts & Whiny 4WD

I'll preface this post by saying that I have still not been able to identify a way to start my own build thread, so as to have all of my truck whoas contained in a succinct package. If there is a way to do this, or I have posted incorrectly, please advise (sorry Mods, #newbie)

My 2000 Chevy Silverado 5.3L Z71 w/4L60E transmission and approximately 160K miles has started to provide me with some challenges; though no trouble codes are currently being thrown, and there is no check engine light. (Recently through a P0300 - Random Misfire, but I do not think it's related; tell me if you think otherwise).

The truck will not shift from 1st to 2nd while under heavy load. It shifts very late, and maintains high RPMs regardless of % throttle applied. If I let of the gas a bit around 4-5K RPM, it then shifts in to 2nd gear. This is repeated during highway driving while trying to shift up from a cruising speed. 65 and below, it sits with high RPM; around 3500, 4000 - which is much higher than I remember and is killing my gas mileage.

The first time this happened, I decided to flush the transmission fluid for the first time, though I did not include the full 11 qts w/torque converter. I was hoping something simple would fix the problem, but I regress. The major thing that made this job a massive PITA was the stupid gear selector bracket on the driver's side of the transmission drain pan (deep). I could not get it out of the way, and getting to the top where the 6 point bolt heads are (of course rusted) was impossible for me. Deep in to the evening with little light and transmission fluid dumping all over me, I ended up letting out a few thunderous man grunts and profane statements to get it out. It was fine to put back on, which puzzled me more. If there is a DIY for this action, please let me know. I also have not found a lot of information with how to also flush the torque converter, and I'd like to know how involved that job is too.

I spend most of my time in 2WD as well, with very light towing (helping friends move, a motorcycle, etc) but some limited 4WD driving for snow. I am used to hearing a little bit of whine in 4WD especially at low speeds, but have recently thrown a "service 4WD" light a few times. I am hoping that a fluid change here will allow me to move forward.

I have a bunch of Valvoline extended life DEX/MERC transmission fluid, Lucas Oil 75W-90 transmission/differential fluid, a pump bottle, and a week to get these problems addressed before my spring break is over. I also got a new 1-2 shift solenoid, though I am not sure if I need it.

I am not about to call it a day, liquidate the truck for $5-6K and take out a big loan on something new. Any help/resources/input you can provide is great appreciated. Please see my other posts for other problems, some of which will be a much more involved job I am sure. For now, I'll have my nose in my Haynes and these forums.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

(Sorry for the bump, not attempting to be a self-promotion)

I just found my older original thread on this topic that I was not able to find:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/92301-Transmission-Fluid-Change-Gone-Wrong

To answer those questions:

1. There were no metal shavings or obvious debris in the transmission pan, it was just dirty.
    2. The filter itself did not look that bad either.
    3. I knocked the cap off of what I believe is the 1-2 transmission solenoid, but put it back on before the pan and it seemed fine. (I bought a new one just in case)
    4. It went back on fine.

2. Fraterado1855

Fraterado1855 New Member

May have found the issue.

Trouble Code: P0751 - Shift Solenoid A Stuck Off

Will return with results after replacement.