1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Chevy Silverado Turn, running, fog light assembly issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by dolphindan1, May 5, 2013.

1. dolphindan1

dolphindan1 New Member

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado extended cab truck...the housing that holds the turn signal, fog light, running lights were filling up with water...had about 2 inches of water in them....I noticed that the running light on the passenger side was burnt out...I went to pull it out and it shattered in my hand...I cant get the rest of it out...How do I fix that? Do I just buy another plug and splice the wires or what? And any idea how the water is getting in and how to fix it? It looks like there is seal/glue holding the clear piece to the gray plastic side...Is that so? can that be fixed or just better to replace the whole thing?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You should be able to get the rest of the lamp out with needle nosed pliers.

Usually the water gets in around the sockets.
  3. dolphindan1

dolphindan1 New Member

I have tried...its broke all the way to where its basically flat inside the plug and I have nothing to grab with the pliers

What do I need to do to sockets to stop it?
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I had a similar problem with the backup lights on an Envoy. The socket was pushed into the housing and 1/4 turned to lock it into place. The water was coming in around the seal where the gasket went into the housing. I used a little silicone to seal it. I don't suggest this is the fix for all to use, it will glue the socket to the housing and removal is a slow job..........but, it did fix the problem.

Try pouring a little vinegar into the socket, the vinegar may loosen the corrosion that is holding the broken lamp.
  5. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the plastic clear piece and the gray piece sometimes leak at the seam. I use a clear silicone sealant to stop this. seal the entire seam place in a warm spot for 2 hrs. then place the housing in a pail of water to see if the leak is stopped..

the lamp sockets I use silicone GREASE ...THIS PREVENTS ANY ISSUES OF THE SOCKET.

placing the silicone grease on the seal of the lamp housing for the socket also prevents deterioration..
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you can not get them sealed you could always buy a new set. They run around $40 for the set. You could always check Craigslist in your area. Guys sell them after putting LED models in theirs.
  7. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

If its really bugging you i think i have a set if you want them, oem set like $10 plus shipping, pm me if you want ill try to dig um out and get some pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Well cant seem to find um with my other truck stuff so if i do ill let you kno. You can get a nice set off ebay pretty cheap just make sure they are DOT approved so they are not total junk.