1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2000" GMC Electrical Problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by AK Badger, Dec 11, 2013.

1. AK Badger

AK Badger New Member

I have a 2000 GMC sierra that I use as plow. It started great 3 weeks ago and now with the threat of snow it seems that I have now power what so ever to anything in the truck. I have two batteries, new last year. The one battery took a full charge but the second one does not take charge or respond to charger. Any ideas?

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

****THREAD MOVED****
    To The
    GENERAL CHEVY/GM TECH QUESTION SECTION

3. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

First thing I would do is take the battery that won't charge back for replacement, hopefully under warranty. Second would be to recheck all battery connections and cable condition. Then start looking for shorts or loads that are staying on.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

X2 ^^^^. Do you have any sort of battery isolation, or the two batteries just connected in parallel? And, where do you connect the charger, directly to the battery terminals, or at a common point?

5. Albert

Albert New Member

Isolate the rotten one and charge it alone and see it charges or not. Go for replacement if its finished! Also check for any short circuits and wiring issues. It also looks like may be you are connecting the charger in the wrong way!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Looking over a Haynes electric diagram for charging and starting and do not see a dual battery set up. Check your ignition fuse as that will kill dash and prevent cranking. Do exterior lights work?