1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 GMC SIERRA 5.3 low fuel light after fill up

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2000sierra, Oct 14, 2013.

1. 2000sierra

2000sierra Member

I have owned my truck for about 8 years and it has been this way since I bought it. After I have burned off a few gallons it seems to read an accurate fuel level. I have seen many posts about this problem but would like some people that have had this and had it fixed to explain what is wrong and est cost to fix.
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

the fuel pump will need replacing . cost is about 600-800 USD. this is when you use a ac delco or Delphi pump. do not use AIRTEX AS THESE ARE SHORT ON LIFE. If you do this work the tank will need be dropped or you slide back and tilt up the bed to get access to the top of the fuel tank. I prefer the bed slide / tilt method. my 2000 has this problem since the warranty ended back in 2002. when the pump dies then I will fix it ...new pumps will require wires to be soldered and sealed with new style connectors in most cases if you have the OEM 2000 pump....
  3. 2000sierra

2000sierra Member

I'm curious. Doesn't the fuel pump only feed fuel into the line and engine ? Does it also measure the amount of fuel in the tank or wouldn't that be a fuel level gauge sensor ? Just trying to narrow it down. I'm sure you know what you're talking about but trying to get multiple opinions on this. Thank you for your information .
  4. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

It does both.
  5. j cat

when you go buy this or look this up on the internet you will see 2 heavy wires this is the feed to the pump motor, the smaller sized wires are to the what they call sometimes rheostat , this is the sender which has this issue of getting slimmed up and what you get is an open circuit . this then causes the fuel gauge to jump around, the sender goes to the dash as well as the PCM...

I known of some that removed the assy , then cleaned it put it back in to work great for a time then only to act up again.

I use techron fuel treatment with a few ounces of marvel mystery oil to the fuel to reduce the jumping readings ...it will clean some of the reostat..
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It does both. [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION] has given you very good advice and information. No need for multiple opinions. Any opinion that is different than what is stated above would be incorrect. So, you can search high and low for a different answer, but you already have the correct one.
  7. 2000sierra

2000sierra Member

Thank you all for the answer's to my question. Now I know where to go when I talk to my mechanic . Have a great GM day guy's.
  8. j cat

remember do not use an AIRTEX pump....post back the cost to have this repair and what pump you used .. ac delco or delphi ..
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Right on. Thanks for helping with such great info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk