Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2000 Impala Fuel Gauge Freaking Out!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Impala Forum' started by SilveradoDreamer, Sep 2, 2013.

1. :shocked: My 2000 Impala fuel gauge goes crazy. It sometimes shows empty when the tank is full, other times it will swing between empty and whatever level the fuel is at. It affects the computer too, the heads up display will say Low Fuel and the chime will ring. Ideas?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It is either the stepper motor for the gauge or the sender in the tank. If you are getting a low fuel notice from the heads up display I would bet it is the sending unit.

3. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

sending unit for sure...

4. zippstripp

zippstripp Member 1 Year

Seen that a lot. I call it a happy gauge cause it waves at ya. Sending unit contacts are worn.

I

5. More Problems de la Impala...

Thank you for all the thoughts on the fuel sending unit....I foresee a joyous adventure in dropping the tank....

Other problems, same car. Heads up display shows wrong temperature, about 45 degrees low...Turn Signals making hideous buzzing noise when switched left or right....AC blower doesn't kick in for a minute or so after starting engine....AND the garage door opener button on the overhead display no longer opens the garage door (but my neighbor said that it switches his TV on and off)....Your help is appreciated!!!
    :glasses:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013