1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2000 Jimmy P0446 code help

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by crazy_ndn604, Feb 1, 2014.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. crazy_ndn604

crazy_ndn604 New Member

Hi, i recently joined this forum in hopes to shed some light (or get rid of a light rather) on an issue i have and sure many have had with the P0446 EVAP emissions code.
    i've tried numerous fixes and still get the code come up as soon as the next day to a week later.
    The first thing that we replaced was:
    the gas cap, followed by purge solenoid on engine, cleaned the vent solenoid with air compressor, then had no results with all the above and then replaced the vent solenoid,
    the code still exists. could this be the actual canister itself? maybe the lines? the fuel pump? (pump is 2 years old).
    the vehicle has no noticeable issues besides the check engine light come on.
    thanks in advance for any input. it is very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

i also should have noted the code first popped up awhile back after filling up the fuel tank, and then kept pumping gas after the gas pump stopped, but did not over spill. but pretty sure the tank was to it limits or over.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Welcome to the club.

The main way to destroy the canister is by overfilling, I was told this by a dealer when I got the same code. Once the canister gets soaked in gas, the charcoal inside absorbs only so much and then it trips the cel light.

3. crazy_ndn604

crazy_ndn604 New Member

That makes sense. Thanks for your input.

4. crazy_ndn604

crazy_ndn604 New Member

So I put a different canister from the wrecker in. Light hasn't came back on ( cross your fingers)

5. crazy_ndn604

crazy_ndn604 New Member

The light came back on with the same code p0446. Any suggestions???

6. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Even though you changed the canister, there might have been some fuel in the vacuum lines????

7. crazy_ndn604

crazy_ndn604 New Member

Wouldn't it get purged to the engine?

8. crazy_ndn604

crazy_ndn604 New Member

I guess nobody knows much about this situation in here?

9. estrom

estrom Member 1 Year

Did you get this figured out? I saw a youtube video saying it could be the fuse in the ECM unit, or the ECM unit itself (located in the fender well next to the battery). I have a 2000 blazer with the same issue and was wondering if you got it solved before I tear into something.

10. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

EVAP can be so many things! From the valve to the tank, theres plenty to go wrong! I never knew how to check a canister, but you can check the vacuum lines to start, make sure the valve is working, the one on my tracker would stick. I could lube it up and it would work for awhile, then stick again and the light would come on again! A vacuum gauge and a test light are your best friends for this project!