1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Jimmy will not start after battery replacement - suspect security system

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by JerseyGMC, Nov 9, 2013.

1. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Good morning all. For my first post to your forum I have an issue that has me stumped. I recently had my Jimmy idle for about 4 weeks during this time the battery which is rather old and with the cold weather here finally died. So I replaced it with a new one go to start but it will only crank. When I turn the key to RUN I can hear the fuel pump prime so I know it not fuel related. The only other strange thing is the only activity on the instrument cluster is a blinking Security display top middle and a red battery indicator on the lower right side. The strange thing is the gauges do not sweep at all and now the fuel gauge pointer is outside the normal sweep path. I tried to spray starting fluid into the intake but it only stuttered but did not fire up. I am thinking that maybe the OEM security system is not disengageing and will not allow the truck to start??? Is there a way to bypass the security system? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

What year? How many miles? What engine and did you have any other issues before?
  3. ChevyFan

Also, did anything happen to it while it was idle? Did a family a mice take up residence? Stranger things have happened. I'd recommend doing a full visual inspection.
  4. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Sorry forgot to include that.. 2000 Jimmy 236,000 nothing happened to it. No visible mice infestations. I have 3 trucks that I rotate between for commuting and weekend work. Needed to get my plow truck on the road so I parked the Jimmy for a little while. When to start one day and battery is dead. Other then replacing the hubs and brakes no other issue. Thanks
  5. ChevyFan

The security anti-theft system I thought would also kill the starter?
  6. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Maybe, I don't know for sure. what if it is only half way working...?
  7. MAD JAX

MAD JAX New Member

I'm having the same problem with a '01 Jimmy (see "Dealer Flashed BCM ~ Now Jimmy won't run" elsewhere in this forum) whereas I took it to the Dealer so they could confirm a diagnosis of the Air Bag System (SRS) Warning Lamp and Dome Lamp staying on, and I didn't know it at the time (though I'm damn sure THEY did ; ) but if Your "Security" lamp is flashing and You LOOSE BATTERY POWER Your Vehicle will become disabled as You've discribed.

If Your "Security" lamp WAS flashing with Key-On-Engine-Off then the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) had identified a problem and continued to allow enablement of operation...until that battery died or was removed (like Mine was at the Dealership)...if-so then that is most likely the reason the vehicle will NOT start.

You need to Scan ALL modules for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) and record ALL from each Module before You proceed...

Does it Crank, "Flare", and then stall? That's what Mine is doing, and as far as I can tell the PCM is getting everything it needs to enable the injectors...but it ain't happening, and I've yet to figure out why either : ?

My "Security" lamp NOW goes on solid for 5 seconds then goes OUT ~ indicating "System OK"...but it sure as hell isin't...it's been like this now going-on three months, though I'm looking to get back on it again here-quick...perhaps We can help each other : ?
  8. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Thanks Mad Jax for your input.. it sure does sound like what I have.. maybe you should try the following suggestion I got from another forum. Before starting this test I removed the positive battery cable for about 15 mins. Reconnected then I locked the truck with the keyless entry remote waited 35 sec and unlocked it. Sat down turned the key to run, heard the fuel pump but this time the Security indicator remained off. Unfortunately the gauges did not cycle and the red battery indicator was on. Turned the key to start no change, still cranks but no spark and the red battery indicator stayed on. No other idiot lights came on nor did any of the gauges move... now what [​IMG]
    - - - Updated - - -

Yup.. that certainly sounds like what was going on before I lost my battery.. so how does one reprogram the BCM anyway?
  9. ChevyFan

Methinks that you might have to take it to a dealer or someone with a scan 2 tool who knows what to do.
  10. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Crap that means towing... I just figured that the symptoms might yield some answers.. I mean how often would you see no sweep on the gauges and a constant red battery icon on the instrument cluster... will have to try Google again.. thanks Steve for your insight.