GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

2000 Jimmy will not start after battery replacement - suspect security system

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by JerseyGMC, Nov 9, 2013.

1. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Good morning all. For my first post to your forum I have an issue that has me stumped. I recently had my Jimmy idle for about 4 weeks during this time the battery which is rather old and with the cold weather here finally died. So I replaced it with a new one go to start but it will only crank. When I turn the key to RUN I can hear the fuel pump prime so I know it not fuel related. The only other strange thing is the only activity on the instrument cluster is a blinking Security display top middle and a red battery indicator on the lower right side. The strange thing is the gauges do not sweep at all and now the fuel gauge pointer is outside the normal sweep path. I tried to spray starting fluid into the intake but it only stuttered but did not fire up. I am thinking that maybe the OEM security system is not disengageing and will not allow the truck to start??? Is there a way to bypass the security system? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

What year? How many miles? What engine and did you have any other issues before?
  3. ChevyFan

Also, did anything happen to it while it was idle? Did a family a mice take up residence? Stranger things have happened. I'd recommend doing a full visual inspection.
  4. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Sorry forgot to include that.. 2000 Jimmy 236,000 nothing happened to it. No visible mice infestations. I have 3 trucks that I rotate between for commuting and weekend work. Needed to get my plow truck on the road so I parked the Jimmy for a little while. When to start one day and battery is dead. Other then replacing the hubs and brakes no other issue. Thanks
  5. ChevyFan

The security anti-theft system I thought would also kill the starter?
  6. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Maybe, I don't know for sure. what if it is only half way working...?
  7. MAD JAX

MAD JAX New Member

I'm having the same problem with a '01 Jimmy (see "Dealer Flashed BCM ~ Now Jimmy won't run" elsewhere in this forum) whereas I took it to the Dealer so they could confirm a diagnosis of the Air Bag System (SRS) Warning Lamp and Dome Lamp staying on, and I didn't know it at the time (though I'm damn sure THEY did ; ) but if Your "Security" lamp is flashing and You LOOSE BATTERY POWER Your Vehicle will become disabled as You've discribed.

If Your "Security" lamp WAS flashing with Key-On-Engine-Off then the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) had identified a problem and continued to allow enablement of operation...until that battery died or was removed (like Mine was at the Dealership)...if-so then that is most likely the reason the vehicle will NOT start.

You need to Scan ALL modules for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) and record ALL from each Module before You proceed...

Does it Crank, "Flare", and then stall? That's what Mine is doing, and as far as I can tell the PCM is getting everything it needs to enable the injectors...but it ain't happening, and I've yet to figure out why either : ?

My "Security" lamp NOW goes on solid for 5 seconds then goes OUT ~ indicating "System OK"...but it sure as hell isin't...it's been like this now going-on three months, though I'm looking to get back on it again here-quick...perhaps We can help each other : ?
  8. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Thanks Mad Jax for your input.. it sure does sound like what I have.. maybe you should try the following suggestion I got from another forum. Before starting this test I removed the positive battery cable for about 15 mins. Reconnected then I locked the truck with the keyless entry remote waited 35 sec and unlocked it. Sat down turned the key to run, heard the fuel pump but this time the Security indicator remained off. Unfortunately the gauges did not cycle and the red battery indicator was on. Turned the key to start no change, still cranks but no spark and the red battery indicator stayed on. No other idiot lights came on nor did any of the gauges move... now what [​IMG]
    - - - Updated - - -

Yup.. that certainly sounds like what was going on before I lost my battery.. so how does one reprogram the BCM anyway?
  9. ChevyFan

Methinks that you might have to take it to a dealer or someone with a scan 2 tool who knows what to do.
  10. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Crap that means towing... I just figured that the symptoms might yield some answers.. I mean how often would you see no sweep on the gauges and a constant red battery icon on the instrument cluster... will have to try Google again.. thanks Steve for your insight.
  11. MAD JAX

MAD JAX New Member

Ya think... : ?

I may just have to go kiss-ass -- AND PAY OUT THE NOSE : ? -- to "The Dealership" afterall...

I've been an Out-sourced Automotive Diagnostic Tech for over 25 years, and not only am I stumped, but those I've gone-to for "Help" as-well -- that actually MAKE their own Wiring Harness's and PROGRAM their own PCM's -- find that for reasons they were previously un-aware their devices will not communicate with the 4.3 liter V-6...whereas I've come to find now that apparently ONLY "The Dealership" (OR one of Their "Traning Faclities" ; ) HAS what is necessary to get Our vehicles running again UNLESS We spend-the-money for THEM to verify the integrity of all commuications wiring and THEN replace BOTH the PCM and BCM at quite some incredible expense indeed!

I've done the 30-min "Re-learn proceedure" and everything else related to "Cranks, No-Start" trouble-trees that I can to try 'n revive My vehicle to no-avail ~ It is DEAD-WEIGHT today!

Today - though I have verified they are being recieved - NONE of My VTSS "conditions" are corrupt (ie; "Valid" Key-Code", < 5 v. indicated,) yet My injectors remain disabled. Also too now, ALL "Keyless Remote Commands" -- though they ARE being recieved -- will NOT actuate the door-locks, rear-hatch, "Panic", etc., which rather indicates that the BCM is for whatever reason NOW being non-responsive...

I was told by the "Tech" I bought it from that -- amongst many other things in HIS efforts to get the Jimmy running -- he'd replaced the ignition lock cylinder and BCM...I corrected a bunch of wiring He'd fouled for testing the Fuel Pump (as well as those flaws inherent It's "Grounding System" AND that "New" fuel pump He'd reportedly installed ; ) and performed the 30 minute re-learn proceedure ~ and the car RAN for three months just-fine with EVERYTHING working just-fine EXCEPT the SRS warning lamp (Air Bag System) blaring some "Communications DTC" and Overhead Dome Lamp staying ON unless "Dome Defeat" was depressed ~ and -- that I knew at that time -- that was all that the car did wrong!

However the "Security" lamp would flash consistantly KOEO AND after starting the vehicle...all VTSS and Keyless Remote System Funcitons worked otherwise perfectly! I came to learn that the BCM is used in the various "Models" of 2-door vs. 4-door & 2 w.d. vs. 4 w.d. thus IT had to be "Flashed" to the Vehcile, and because IT monitors and desiminates information that influences control of the SRS (Supplemetary Restraignt System) and "Interior Dome Lamp" (whereas the 2 door/2 w.d.version must ignore the missing 4-door/4.w.d. sensors, etc. My vehicle doesn't have...) IT needed to be checked for correct "Flash" of the controller...and THAT is ALL I ASKED "The Dealership" to verify, otherwise - if it wasn't MORE MONEY (and They said it wouldn't be) AND that DOING IT would solve My TWO SIMPLE "Complaints", I said "...then go-ahead and "Flash" the BCM".

I took it to "The Dealership" -- who damn-well KNOWS if that "Security" lamp is flashing then it WILL become disabled for Battery Disconnect OR "Programmer Flashing" ~ and now here I am DEAD-IN-THE-ROAD today : ?

FYI ~ I took mine to "The Dealership" because those I know experiened in having "Mobil Programmers" come-Flash-Car felt It best-done BY "The Dealership" ~ and it was THE DEALER that screwed Mine up, then demanded two-hours "No-Warranty" ("Blank-Check" ; ) diagnostic time "...OR We'll need to have Your vehicle removed from Our property immediatly".

Now I've REALLY got "...that GREAT G.M. Feeling"... ; )

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a link to My previous posts regarding this "Cranks, Starts, and Dies" VTSS related problem:

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/130010-Dealer-quot-Flashed-quot-BCM-4-SRS-MIL-amp-quot-Dome-stays-On-quot-now-JIMMY-WON-T-RUN
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  12. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Thanks MAD JAX for your insight... I really don't know what to do next. Going to the dealer seems extreme, I was wondering if it would be easier to just pick up a second hand BCM for a salvage yard... I really don't know enough about this yet to even know if this is possible..
  13. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

I don't know if bypassing your passlock system will fix your issue, but here is some info. if you just want to try to bypass it just go to youtube and search passlock 2 bypass. It is pretty easy to do. Alternatively, you can buy bypasses online or at autozone. They sell them for remote starter systems. some of the nicer bypass modules are basically automatic as far as adjusting resistance. cheap modules are adjusted by dip switches and sometimes suck to work with.
  14. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Thanks Pikey.. will head over to youtube and have a look...
  15. Pikey

Pikey Moderator

Any developments on this? I recently spoke with a friend that installs remote starters and alarms for a living. He said that you can purchase a bypass and do away with the system completely. He has to do it anytime he installs a remote starter.
  16. Guardrail

Guardrail New Member

I had a Chrysler New Yorker that after replacing the battery you had to put the key in the drivers door and turn it back and forth three times before it would start again. I wonder if the security system in the Jimmy might have something similar?
  17. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Just replaced my Battery with a new Bigger GM Ac.. Did you get it running yet? I am close if you want me to take a look.. Pm me..
  18. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

I was way this past weekend so I have not tried the reprogram nor the bypass steps yet. Slated for this weekend coming and will update results. Thanks
  19. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

OK So I finally got to try the Security reprogram steps.. they did not work. After 15 mins the security light kept flashing and the only other idiot light active was the red battery light.. to recap

We I try to start the truck, I hear the fuel pump prime, the engine will crank but will not catch, also the security light keeps flashing. no other idiot lights light up except for the red battery light.
    I tried to spray ether in to the throttle body but did not have but a little in the can what I did manage to get in did cause the engine to almost catch but then not catch..

So is it the ECM or the Anti Theft Device malfunctioning...?

- - - Updated - - -

I found this via another forum... lots of data to pour over tonight after work. Fortunatly we are heading into a warm spell here and I hope to have time to dig in..

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/0zzjn-security-light-car-wont-start.html
  20. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I'm close If you want me to check it out. Too late today but I should be home by 12 noon Tue I'll Pm you my Cell if you want me to stop by call me..