1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Jimmy will not start after battery replacement - suspect security system

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by JerseyGMC, Nov 9, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Ok so I got another chance to work on this. I put 2 batteries in parallel, same results. System seems to not want to go into reprogram mode. So i figured I'd push the truck down the hill until spring. Now when i put the key to ON and try to shift the gear shifter out of PARk it will not unlock. When I depress the button on the floor shifter i hear a click from the dash area but i can't ge her out of PARk, and yes I am on the brake pedal when i try... So where should I go from here??
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

is it sitting on a steep incline?
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

In reading about this. People have been saying that you need to put your key in the ignition in the on or acc position for 15 minutes ... Can't tell (they wrote it poorly) if you are or are not supposed to have the battery installed.
  4. Pikey

yes, battery installed. This is supposed to let the system relearn the resistance from the key.
  5. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

Nope on a flat concrete slab
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Do you Want me to stop by?
  7. JerseyGMC

JerseyGMC New Member

I appreciate your offer.. I think at this point I will table the issue until at least after the new year... Thanks
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Does not hurt to try and look at it.. Up to you..
  9. MAD JAX

MAD JAX New Member

Yo ~ JerseyGMC,

If it's any consolation My daughters Jimmy is STILL INOP too...can't help wonder how many more of US are out-there with these DEAD WEIGHT CARS for that "PASS-LOCK" VTSS failing the way it does : ?

Since last-I-posted ANOTHER "Programmer" has come-over to check-it-out just before X-mas -- this guy get's flown all over THE WORLD to "Tune", and He's sayin' He's got the latest version of "EFI-LIVE" to Boot-It-Up with...and then HE couldn't I.D. having a program that will access the PCM on This particular GMC 4.3 Liter V-6...then He broke the Ignition Lock Cylinder Jack'n the Key in frustration, so NOW before I can continue I've got to get IT replaced ~ just to put me back in square-one : ?

Being at wits-end here I'm inclined to do whatever it takes to BYPASS this stupid-assed "PASS-LOCK" Anti-Theft System ~ that pretty-much TOTALS THE CAR when it fails! ~ so now I'm lookin' into that option : ?
  10. Pikey

I plan on talking with a friend tonight that installs remote starters for a living. With a remote starter you must bypass the passlock with a module. I am going to discuss with him the possibility of making the module function full time therefor disabling passlock. the only issue I see is that some of the modules require the passlock to be working so it can learn the proper resistance required for the system to work. I will update you with what I find out.

- - - Updated - - -

putting a bypass in will not work because it needs a working passlock to learn from. he said that he has seen this issue a bunch of times with these trucks. He knows someone who has bypassed the system, he is going to try to get a hold of him to see how to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

I found this, finding the correct resistance might suck as your system is inop
    http://www.kingbain.com/how-to-permanently-disable-gm-passlock-system/

- - - Updated - - -

also found this on another site

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out . Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back oof the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
    I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014