2000 S10 O2 sensor issues

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by RobertMachado, Feb 17, 2017.

1. RobertMachado

RobertMachado New Member

I have a 2000 S10 basic 4 cylinder model. I had code that basically said I had an O2 sensor problem. I don't remember the exact code but it was a bank 2 switching issue. I ordered and replaced both O2 sensors. Since then I have driven the truck thousands of miles and have never gotten another code of any kind. Now it's time to register my truck and it's a smog year. I took it to get smoged and it won't pass and says O2 sensors not ready. I've disconnected the battery to reset the computer and have been driving it still no codes and still won't pass smog. Does anyone have some insight to this issue it's driving me nuts I'm now on a 60 day pass from DMV and seriously need to get this resolved as it is my work vehicle.

2. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When codes are cleared it takes a while to cycle through all the self checks for compliance with pollution rules. Some can take quite a while, especially the O2 sensors. I can't remember off hand how many drive cycles it takes. So don't clear codes or reset by a battery disconnect.

Ted

thegawd likes this.
  3. RobertMachado

RobertMachado New Member

I drove it 200 plus consecutive highway miles right after replacing the sensors. Since then I've driven several thousand miles and still nothing. There has to be something wrong it can't require several thousand miles or 500 consecutive miles to register with the computer can it?

4. thegawd

thegawd Rockstar 2 Years 1000 Posts

I had that aswell and mine passed. its not a code that says they are not working and functioning. at least here in Ontario it wasnt a problem at all as long as the check engine light isnt on. I was quite concerned and went into the emissions testing place and talked to them cuz I couldnt get it off either and get the green light on my scanner. it was only one of the tests that the computer will run after and clear after a certain amount of drive cycles and once the conditions were met, be at a certain speed for a certain amount of time that was almost impossible to complete unless i got on a major highway and drove it for like half an hour at the required parameters. are you looking at this through a scanner? have you tried to have it tested?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  5. thegawd

sorry I just read that you have had it tested and are on a 60 day pass... in order for us to figure out exactly what parameters this test requires to complete were guna need you to plug it into a scanner and tell us what tests have not completed yet. it all comes down to drive cycles where the paremeters were met for the test and repeated a certain amount of times. if you dont have a scanner go see autozone or something like that and have them read it. the self tests that wont be done will be lit up or blinking on the scanner in a short code such as nox or o2... those are what we need to know.

I'll be back on later... have a good one.

Al

6. RobertMachado

RobertMachado New Member

Well the check engine light had come on I used a scanner that gave me a code I researched the code and it was a bank 2 switching issue OBD2. Meaning I had a bad bank 2 O2 sensor I replaced both sensors and cleared the check engine light. Then I drove it 200 plus miles on the free way non stop at or above 65mph. Took it to the smog shop and it failed the emissions test stating that the O2 sensors were not ready. Since then I've driven several thousand miles and I've taken it back to the smog shop several times and it still says O2 sensors not ready. The check engine light has not come back nor has it generated a new code.

7. thegawd

the O2 sensors are working otherwise you would get a check engine light. its the tucks computer self tests that havent completed yet. these dont set codes and are what we need to find out in order to figure out what parameters and drive cycles will complete them...

8. silverado002

silverado002 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

It could take as many as 5 driving cycles to get a ready status for GM. Try googling "www.obdii.com/DRIVECYCLE.HTML"

thegawd likes this.
  9. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You might have an issue with the wiring for the O2 sensors. I think that's what the "switching" means. Inspect the wiring harness for the bank 2 sensor. Also if you can with the scan tool see what the short term and long term offsets are for bank 2.

Usually when a problem with the O2 wiring crops up the wiring has contacted the exhaust and melted the insulation so look for that. It's a fairly easy repair once you find it.

Ted

thegawd likes this.
  10. RobertMachado

RobertMachado New Member

Ok thanks.