2000 Sierra will not start.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Sierraowner5.3, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

This one isn't mine, but a buddys. (145 k) It died on the way to work one morning and would not restart. He told me that it chugged a few times then died, sorta like running out of fuel. Was towed to the lot at work, and he added more fuel. Still will not start. Engine turns over, but will not fire. voltage gauge shows around 12 with the key on. I pulled a plug and checked spark, spark is ok, not great but viisble, end of plug was bone dry. Crawled under the truck and put my ear on the tank, had my buddy cycle the key a few times, and could not hear the fuel pump. Im assuming i should.

My guess was his fuel pump is shot.

anyone else have any input?

Alex

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with these issues you check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a pressure gage. check for power at the fuel pump.

you have 2 sec time with the key cycled on to ignition on not cranking..

I would replace relay and fuel filter with a pump replacement at this age. get dephi /ac delco pump. no airtex.

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail, they usually have a plastic cap over it. Take the plastic cap off, take a small flat screw driver and depress the schrader valve. If gas sprayed out then you have good fuel pressure, If it just trickles out then you either have a bad fuel pressure regulator or a fuel pump.

You should be able to hear the pump.

4. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

thanks for the tips, ill try the valve tomorrow. fuel pump had been done at some point, he couldnt remember how many miles ago. said he got a GM pump, but who knows. i did tell him to replace the fuel filter as well. it was getting dark and it was cold, so bare hands and fuel wasnt my idea of fun. knowing him he will just take it to a shop.

Alex

5. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Generally when they die like that the pump gave up so i wouldnt think that you would get any pressure out of that valve but remember if you do and its not above 50 psi you will have probs. You can take a rubber mallet or something that wont damage the plastic tank and beat on the center where the pump is to get it going again to drive home or to the shop. Pumps are cooled by the gas in the tank and when you go below a 1/4 the pump gets warm and wears faster.