1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 silverado 4.8l intake and MAF sensor

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by b-radical, May 2, 2011.

1. b-radical

b-radical New Member

hello, I'm shopping for an intake and I am seriously considering a k&n drop in filter with an upgraded resonator tube, or an AEM intake. I have some concerns though.

How does the stock MAF sensor work with a open filter intake like the AEM? I have read some material that claims the benefits an open air intake like the AEM are negated by the MAF sensor. So basically, to get the most out of an open air intake (AEM) you need to upgrade the MAF sensor, add an additional o2 sensor and reprogram the computer. Is the k&n a better choice because of this?

I have also seen that hydro-lock can be the cause of an open intake. I understand bypass valve can also prevent hydro-lock. Is the stock air box is designed to prevent hydro-lock?

Finally I'm wondering who makes a good aftermarket resonator tube.

2000 Silverado 4.8L, 3 inch dynomax cat back exhaust

I really appreciate any feedback.
    thanks
    Chevy life
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I've never heard of the issues you mentioned. The stock MAF flows plenty of air, up to I believe 600hp. It does help to go with a good programmer like the Diablo Preditor. This will complement your intake and exhaust. I've had K&N drop-ins and other CAI's and have never had any issues. I'm running the Banks CAI now, you can see it on my album. I do think the most bang for the dollar is Airaids Jr. Kit, it has a drop-in filter and intake tube without all the baffles in it.
  3. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS New Member

yeah, do not change to an aftermarket MAF sensor... there is no need... the stock is good for 550-600+ hp anyway... and will be fine.. and leave the screen in it too!

the aftermarket ones fool the pcm into thinking the engine is running leaner than it really is.. bad bad bad....

get the diablo Predator, model U7198, like silveradotb mentioned above...
  4. b-radical

b-radical New Member

thanks for the advice,

so just to clear things up, is it worth using the AEM brute force intake with the stock MAF sensor or should i stick with the stock air box with k&n filter and upgraded resonator tube?
  5. b-radical

b-radical New Member

good question cat ;)