1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Silverado 4X4 frame crossmember rear fuel tank support rusted thru.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by j cat, Sep 19, 2012.

1. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have found a crack in the crossmember of the frame that supports the rear of the fuel tank ,exhaust,right rear shock. I found a shop in cranston RI. that has made a part that they say does the job. part does not look like the original however.

I am requesting any help with the location of a fabricator that makes a crossmember that more closely matches the OEM part.

I have found a local frame restoration body shop that will make a steel frame crossmember . this shop however has never made one for these vehicles yet. thought of scrap yard but living in the rust belt this I feel would not be a good choice.

those with this type vehicle I would do an inspection . my crossmember only had a small crack visable. with my index finger only ,,,,the metal above the fuel tank crumbled to dust into a 12 inch long hole about 1.5 inches wide.about 1/3 of the tubing diameter.

the rest of the crossmember looks good. only rusted above the fuel tank where it is not visable.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR SIMILAR CROSSMEMBER CORROSION ISSUES.
  2. j cat

Well today I just got back my vehicle from the frame repair shop. they cut out the crossmember then fabricated another just like the original. actually It looks much better and the welds are perfect. all the work was properly coated with a mineral oil based rust proofing compound.

the cost was 400.

If any members have these issues be sure to find a shop that has done this work before. it is very important or you could end up paying much more for a defective repair.
  3. bigsilverado00

bigsilverado00 New Member

what was the name of the shop you went to for the repair work?? i have a 2000 silverado 1500 with the same problem and its been sitting for like 8 months because i couldnt find someone to fix.. if you could help it would be greatly appreciated... and it will get the wife off my back about her truck
  4. j cat

where is your location ?
  5. bigsilverado00

bigsilverado00 New Member

i now live in bristol ct, the truck is in mass, and im willing to bring it to where it needs to go to fix it...
  6. j cat

thats not too far. place is PATRIOT FRAME AND AUTO. ASK FOR JAY. TEL#978-658-7555

2185 MAIN ST TEWKSBURY MA.

I made sure that there was no other issues. I droped the fuel tank and inspected all the other crossmembers and frame metal . then put the tank back in. that maybe why they did not charge more.

I have had estimates of 1200-800.00 to do this. they only charged 400.oo. had the tank fuel @ 1/8 .