1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Silverado body lifted... except rear bumper

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by chilax, Apr 2, 2013.

1. chilax

chilax Rockstar

So I bought my silverado about 4 years ago witha body lift already installed... everything minus the rear bumper lift brackets... and its been bugging me and I've been searching but cant find anywhere that I can get the brackets from... any insight guys?

- - - Updated - - -

84views and no one has a clue? any insight would help guys. I've searched the net, a few forums. even contacted a few vendors with no luck :(
  2. kinson33

kinson33 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Not sure if it will let me post this link since its from another truck site but I'll give it a shot:

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...kets-lift-bumper-when-doing-bodylift-obs.html

- - - Updated - - -

Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Rear-bumper-body-lift-brackets-99-02-gm-1500-trucks-/221190943711
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A good welder should be able to fab a set of bumper drop brackets and retain the strength ot the bumper/brackets.
    Normally when you use the provided bumper drop brackets they degrade the strength of the bumper assembly so its more of sn ornament than a useful bumper.
    Might be why the originsl owner didnt do that part of the lift. He possibly used the bumper for towing.
  4. chilax

chilax Rockstar

I cant even begin to wonder why I didnt check ebay... thanks Im such an idiot lol

- - - Updated - - -

Truck has a hitch, which im thinking is going to look ridiculous after I lift the bamper... any suggestions on a way to make the hitch look less retarded after the bumper lift?
  5. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Since most hitches are attached to the bottom of the frame I do not know of anything that can be done to lift it up with the bumper. If it bothers you that much and you do not use the hitch, just remove it. Or you can always just remove the body lift :happy:

Oh the 84 views are not all members, it also counts the guest/visitors to the site.
  6. chilax

chilax Rockstar

Thats the problem :( I do use the hitch...

Body lift I kind of have to leave in... I run 33" tires and they rub as it is with the lift in. and we all know just how freakin low the 2wd's are from the factory... bleh..
  7. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The hitch is more than likely the reason the p.o. didnt lift the bumper.
    The best solution is to visit a qualified welder and have him lift the hitch.
    You can have him shorten the side rails so it can bolt back to the bumper along with modified bumper brackets or wha id do is make modified bumper brackets then have the hitch lifted and slid back a few inch so it didnt need to bolt to the bumper anymore. Moving the hitch back will help move weight closer to the axle and help the truck tow better.
    Ive done this mod on a few hitchs. Ive actually modified a few that didnt need lifting I just wanted to pull the weight towards the axle.
  9. chilax

chilax Rockstar

Looks like I might just leave the bumper lowered, thinking about putting a black filler plate in and a fire and ice bar there, possibly 2 or 4 rear mounted work lights into the plate as well to atleast make the space functional... thought? opinions? I've had the truck 4 almost 5 year like I said. I'm just bored with it trying to change things up a little bit but I'm on a very tight budget ( 2 month old at home). Any other suggestions on changed is welcome!
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Many body lifts do not come with rear bumper brackets. I have installed at least 6 of them (a few different brands) over the last few years and none came with new rear bumper brackets. If you want to move the bumper I would suggest as posted above and have a welder fab some new brackets using your old ones. As far as the hitch goes, you could always just buy a block of steel to fill the gap between the bumper and hitch, drill 2 holes thru it, get some longer bolts and bolt the hitch back to the bumper.