2000 Silverado Cassette Player

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Velocity1, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Velocity1

Velocity1 Rockstar

When I upgraded my head unit to a Kenwood, I lost power to the cassette player. Not that big a deal as cassettes are all but obsolete now anyhow. Most of the ones I have have been recorded on CD.

My questions are: Which wire in the harness powers the cassette, and if I remove the cassette player, does Chevy offer an optional fillerfor trucks with out the cassette option? If so, does anyone happen to know the part number or where I could obtain it?

Thanks.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'm guessing you asking about the Cassette player that is mounted in the center console??....Went you get the unit out,there is a Cubby pocket unit that you can buy that will fit in that opening.You can buy it at Local Chevy Dealer.Here is the part #15958735,the cost was around $25.00.

Here is a picture of the Pocket Storage unit in my Truck,

[​IMG]

3. Velocity1

Velocity1 Rockstar

Thanks for the reply. Looks just like I thought it would. Thanks for the pn too. Doesn't create a whole lot of room judging from the pic you posted. I had thouhgt about mounting my Galaxy radio in the available space with some modification but it doesn't look doable? Space is smaller than I thought.

4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your welcome,Ya Not a lot of space in there,On your Galaxy Radio is that a C.B.??....The reason I asked is I have seen C.B.'s mounted in that Spot.Anyway Glad I could Help.....:glasses:

5. x1LSUTigerfan

x1LSUTigerfan Member

my buddy mounted his cobra 40 in thet spot with a bit of trimming on his 03 avalanche its different setup between yalls boxes though

6. Velocity1

Velocity1 Rockstar

Yeah, I've got a Galaxy 929, peaked and tuned ready to be mounted. I was hoping to find someone who has already used this spot to mount a full sized chasis CB radio. Would be the perfect spot. Would love to see some pictures of installs. I've done alot of custom panel building for fiberglass boat dashes. I'd like to see some diagramming on how the cassette comes out of the console too before I start experimenting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, V1

7. Velocity1

Velocity1 Rockstar

Any chance you could get ahold of some pictures of the CB install? It'd be helpful if I could see what I was up against prior to starting the project.

Thanks!

8. x1LSUTigerfan

x1LSUTigerfan Member

sorry i dont have any pictures of the process but i can get one of it mounted now yalls setups are different ill try and find a pic

9. Prophet1990

Prophet1990 Rockstar 100 Posts

Thank you!

Thank you for the picture on the new cubby, I recently installed a JVC KD-S36 (got for a great deal and well better then the original) so I installed that but currently still have the original CD player in my center console and have been looking all over to see what the end appearance will look like glad I found this before i made my own out of diamond plate :D

-Alex

10. Prophet1990

Prophet1990 Rockstar 100 Posts

quick question

how did you go about removing the component that was were the new cubby is?