1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Silverado Cold air leak on Passenger Side Footwell

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by sullivs, Jan 15, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sullivs

sullivs New Member

My typically reliable Silverado LT Crew Cab has a peculiar problem that surfaced last year. Now that it's winter, when my heater is on I have heated air blowing towards the footwells. However, there is lots of cold air coming in the cab only on the passenger side, somewhere behind the dash. If you open the glovebox, you can really feel cold air behind it. I've taken it to the dealer specifically for this problem. But they are not sympathetic and tell me there is nothing behind the glovebox area that could be letting in outside air.

Anyone have any ideas what could be letting cold outside air in? I tried getting under the dash, but there doesn't seem to be many things to remove to see any part of the firewall.

Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It could be the seal between the firewall and the HVAC intake. On my 05 you can pull the windshield wipers and then the cowl. There is a panel on the passenger side that you can remove. It is not easy to get off and will need resealed or your truck will leak water. Wen you get the panel out then you can see the air intake area. You can also pull the blower motor on the inside and lay on your back with a flashlight. Look up into the hole, you might be able to see if the seal is missing. Here is a thread about a dash leak I had, it has pictures of the panel I am speaking of. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...n-xl-Help?highlight=passenger side water leak
  3. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

well on my 2000 sil LT 4 door there is a filter door in the air box. this is before the heater/ac evap and down stream of the blower motor. this is behind the glove box. this door is 6 inches high by 1 inch wide. you will need to remove a cover to see this....anyway if this is not properly closed/sealed the blower will blow un heated/ac cooled air into the cab ...

I would replace those filters 2 ea. each is about 6 inches X 3 inches wide.
  4. sullivs

sullivs New Member

Good tips. I will check those out this weekend. Thanks much.

Steve
  5. silverhobey

silverhobey Member 100 Posts

I've seen one of our past GM's with the door open (found it a year after we
    bought it used)and there is no way it opened itself. I don't think we noticed
    a cold draft, but anyway it must be a small problem if someone changing
    the filters doesn't close the trap door right because you will never see it
    until you take the glove-box sort-of apart to get to the Filter Door...Brian
  6. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

there is a screw that keeps it closed.
  7. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts