Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2000 Silverado Cranks but wont start

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bilmart, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Bilmart

Bilmart New Member

2000 Silverado Ext CB Z-71 5.3 Gas. Has a intermittent problem that is now severe, cranks with no start. If I turn the key and the dash gauges wont move I know it's not gonna start. Only light on is the message center with the red battery appearing. I can also move the gear select to any gear without touching the brakes. Once I try cycling the key a few times the gauge cluster and warning lights appear and then the truck starts fine. Once the gauges appear normal at that time I can no longer move the gear lever freely must step on brakes like normal. My dome light also won't light up and remote door locks wont work at times. I have a feeling this is all connected in some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a DIYer with some automotive experience.

2. Bilmart

Bilmart New Member

2000 Silverado Starting problems

2000 Silverado Ext CB Z-71 5.3 Gas. Has a intermittent problem that is now severe, cranks with no start. If I turn the key and the dash gauges wont move I know it's not gonna start. Only light on is the message center with the red battery appearing. I can also move the gear select to any gear without touching the brakes. Once I try cycling the key a few times the gauge cluster and warning lights appear and then the truck starts fine. Once the gauges appear normal at that time I can no longer move the gear lever freely must step on brakes like normal. My dome light also won't light up and remote door locks wont work at times. I have a feeling this is all connected in some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a DIYer with some automotive experience. ​

3. Bilmart

Bilmart New Member

Just in case someone else looks for this problem it ended up being the ignition switch on the electrical side.

4. MightyMax

MightyMax Rockstar 100 Posts

So did you have to replace the ignition on the steering column?

Glad you got it fixed though.