1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Silverado Erratic Fuel Gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Gonzo12, Jul 25, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Gonzo12

Gonzo12 New Member

I am a rookie when it comes to under the hood...
    My gas gauge jumps from full to empty no matter if I'm driving or at a light. Took it in to shop (chevy dealership) and they said they did a sweep test and that the fuel level sensor ($475) AND intrument panel cluster ($411) would have to be replaced.

Does this sound about right? Do the prices sound about right?
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

You will need a new fuel sending unit...its on the fuel pump itself...some you can change it out on the pump and some you have to get new pump with sending unit...i cant remember on that year to be honest...either get a new fuel sending unit or go grab a fuel pump assembly from a junkyard and see if it fixes it! :great:
  3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member 100 Posts

my money is on the fuel pump.
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

[MENTION=62354]Gonzo12[/MENTION] I had the exact same issue on my 2001 Silverado. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the dashboard. LOL, the stealership is crazy - more like INSANE if they are asking over $900. I replaced by fuel pump with a new one I found online for about $120. Usually it's the fuel level sensor which is part of the fuel pump which is why you need to replace the pump. My dad and I did it in a couple of hours by removing the bed to access the top of fuel tank.
  5. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

aka fuel sending unit :great: