2000 Silverado Radio Prob.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by braindead, Oct 1, 2009.

1. braindead

braindead New Member

I have a standard am-fm radio in my truck. A while back the left speaker quit working, now the right has quit, is there anything that may be causing this or should I junk it and buy a new one? thanks.

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You could take it to a good stereo shop and they can test it for you. I am guessing they are shot.

3. TMRuiz

TMRuiz Rockstar 100 Posts

That is a common problem with chevy trucks I have replaced more than 6 sets just in friends and in our work trucks. You can pick up a decent set either on ebay or at walmart. If it's just kind of a beater truck your local parts store has some cheap replacements. Good luck with wat ever you decide to do.

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

the speakers are cheap. even pioneer 6.5" speakers are only 40 for the pair at walmart.

5. braindead

braindead New Member

DSYFLOYD: Are you saying that you think the speakers are bad and not the radio?

6. TMRuiz

TMRuiz Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes, those speakers go out way before the radio does.

7. Custom04Chevy

Custom04Chevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Definitely the speakers. When i worked in a car audio shop in high school, we were constantly replacing speakers in sliverados, some of which were only a couple years old.
    I would say pick up some new speakers before you buy a new head unit. Unless you just wanted to upgrade your stereo, which I am all for. :glasses:

8. Custom04Chevy

Custom04Chevy Rockstar 100 Posts

Definitely the speakers. When i worked in a car audio shop in high school, we were constantly replacing speakers in sliverados, some of which were only a couple years old.
    I would say pick up some new speakers before you buy a new head unit. Unless you just wanted to upgrade your stereo, which I am all for.

9. Robb31

Robb31 New Member

Yeah, its the speakers. My left door one is about to go soon so I'm going to replace it with some new ones from walmart for about $40.