GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

2000 silverado rear locker

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jasonsz71, Apr 4, 2008.

1. jasonsz71

jasonsz71 New Member

i have a 2000 silverado with the z71 package, could anyone explain what kind of rear end it has and if its a limited slip or a locker and how it works exactly. when it engages its pretty harsh and it seems like sometimes i only have 1 wheel spinning but then it engages and i was just wondering if everyone elses engages rough 2. is it supposed to act like an open diff then lock when you need the extra taction?
  2. ibmoses

ibmoses New Member

My 03 2wd Silverad gas the auto locking rear, it does the same thing and has since it was new.

For instance: when one wheel spins on wet grass it will make a loud clunk noise and then it locks and will spin both wheels.

I have never seen any instructions on how to properly engage/disengage...

Bert
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member

Eaton Auto Locking Differential

The Auto-locking differential on GM Trucks is supplied by Eaton. It is a mechanical unit, unlike the electronic type offered on the Hummer H2. Being an 'autolocker' means that it operates without intervention by the driver. It is not a favorite of off roaders yet, but it is the preferable alternative to most limited slip diffs. Canadian Driver has a nice article on the Eaton unit. YouTube has a great demo video:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw[/media]