1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 silverado rear locker

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jasonsz71, Apr 4, 2008.

1. jasonsz71

jasonsz71 New Member

i have a 2000 silverado with the z71 package, could anyone explain what kind of rear end it has and if its a limited slip or a locker and how it works exactly. when it engages its pretty harsh and it seems like sometimes i only have 1 wheel spinning but then it engages and i was just wondering if everyone elses engages rough 2. is it supposed to act like an open diff then lock when you need the extra taction?
  2. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

My 03 2wd Silverad gas the auto locking rear, it does the same thing and has since it was new.

For instance: when one wheel spins on wet grass it will make a loud clunk noise and then it locks and will spin both wheels.

I have never seen any instructions on how to properly engage/disengage...

Bert
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Eaton Auto Locking Differential

The Auto-locking differential on GM Trucks is supplied by Eaton. It is a mechanical unit, unlike the electronic type offered on the Hummer H2. Being an 'autolocker' means that it operates without intervention by the driver. It is not a favorite of off roaders yet, but it is the preferable alternative to most limited slip diffs. Canadian Driver has a nice article on the Eaton unit. YouTube has a great demo video:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw[/media]