1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Silverado starting issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mattbo324, Jan 6, 2012.

1. mattbo324

mattbo324 New Member

2000 silverado 5.3L. Truck turned over a little last night, but did not start. Battery tested bad, so I replaced it. After the replacement, it started right up, and i let it run for 10-15 minutes. Today, it didn't even turn over, just...."click". Left for 10 minutes, came back, and the voltmeter says 12.5V. WTF? I say....got back in the truck, and it started up, but the idle was low and it instantly died. I started it back up and revved it a bit and it was fine. Idle is at 500 rpm, oil pressure is between 40-60 depending on idle or revving, battery charging at 14-15 volts. Why did the truck not turn over this morning, but after 10 minutes, it works. I am confused. I thought it was a dead short that was draining the battery, but the battery after sitting all night checks out at 12.5V, and the dome light works and the remote unlock. I am lost. Help please.
  2. darkness-lies-

darkness-lies- Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Have you checked your grounds? <dirty or loose> Thats all i got sorry i cant help more.
  3. mattbo324

mattbo324 New Member

think i found it

I think it was the passlock system disabling the starter. I was quick to start so i had the door open. I dont think the passlock is fully disabled until you are in the vehicle with the door shut. I believe the security system was shutting the truck down when i tried to start with the door open.
  4. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Pass lock does not shut power to starter....cuts power to fuel pump.
  5. Idaho

Idaho New Member

I know this is a little late compared to the post date, but I had this same issue. I took it to a mechanic and they were able to run a diagnostic on it and catch the issue. It is exactly as you noted -- the truck's security thinks you are stealing it. So, to protect your truck from disappearing, it shuts off the electrical power to your fuel pump. Of course, when you are the owner this is a pain in the rear. The bad part, is that there are multiple security issue that can be going wrong. These include O2 sensors (you have four), exhaust manifold leak, and bad ignition switch (which is what mine was). There are others, I just don't know them all. I replace my ignition switch ($450) over a year ago and the darn brat is doing it again this month. I'm tired of taxi rides! I know from another mechanic that the 2000 security system has this problem with a lot of our trucks. Not sure how much this helps or if it even does, but maybe it will.
    Good luck!
    Idaho