Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

2000 silverado wont start sometimes

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Rhonda36301, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Rhonda36301

Rhonda36301 New Member

I have a 2000 2500 with 6.0. there other nite I went to start it and the motor just spun over . After several tries it started and ran fine the rest of the nite. After it sat all nite same thing. it did hit the bottom of gas tank a couple time and it started.. I don't know if that had anything to do with it startng. I drove it to work and after 12 hr it started fine and runs great. Any ideas why it not starting all the time? thanks for any ideas

2. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen Rockstar 100 Posts

Any codes?

3. Rhonda36301

Rhonda36301 New Member

no ,,,sorry I should of mentioned that,,,no code at all...runs great once it starts

4. Paladin

Paladin Member

You said you hit the gas tank a couple of times and it started.

I suspect your fuel pump is beginning to fail. It seems hitting the fuel tank is sort of like hitting a worn electric motor to get it going again.

If you can, next time it won't start get under the truck as near to the fuel tank as possible and have someone turn the key to the on position but do not attempt to start the engine and see if you can hear the pump running.

A replacement will run you between $400-$600 for parts and labor at a reputable shop depending on the brand pump you put in.

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

X2 for fuel pump, or fuel pump relay.