2000 sonoma only starts when gas poured in throttle body.

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by Jherkel, Dec 16, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. Jherkel

Jherkel New Member

hey guys I have a 2000 GMC Sonoma 4.3 liter I'm having trouble starting it I have to pour gas into the throttle body to get it to start. It cranks but doesnt start without the gas I'm not sure what's wrong I changed out the fuel filter. I know my gas gauge doesnt work not sure if there's a clog somewhere but I need help what can I do to get it to start without having to pour gas into the throttle body every time? but once it starts it runs great except when I floor it it seems like it doesnt wanna get up and go.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

welcome to gmtc. you need to go and rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store. You then screw the gauge onto the fuel rail and check the pressure. I have a feeling that you have a failing fuel pump.
  3. Jherkel

Jherkel New Member

10-4 Pikey ill give it a shot. Thanks for the quick response. Wouldnt the engine die if the fuel pump was going out or not nesseceraly?
  4. Pikey

not necessarily. I think that your pump is not providing enough fuel to get it started. When you get it started it runs, but when you put it to the floor the pump is not providing enough fuel to keep it going.
  5. Jherkel

Jherkel New Member

I see your point. Would you happen to know how much psi the fuel pressure needs to be?
  6. Pikey

pretty sure that it should be 53-60 psi and hold after the key is shut off.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That's the key. A good pump will hold fuel in the lines for a long time, a worn pump will let the fuel drain back into the tank.

Pouring fuel into the tb is letting the engine run long enough for the pump to fill the lines.

Try turning on the key and waiting 5 min, there should then be enough fuel in the lines to maybe start the engine. But, if the pump is real worn, there might be fuel, but, as @Pikey said, not enough pressure.
  8. Jherkel

Jherkel New Member

10-4. Whats the chances of it being the pressure regulator?
  9. Gramps43

Gramps43 New Member

Check the pressure first then you will be better able to tell if the reg. is bad. Pressure should be in the 50 to 60# range with key on, engine not running and 3 to 10# running.