1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Suburban brake pedal puslating

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by sdjonedge, Dec 3, 2013.

1. sdjonedge

sdjonedge New Member

My 2000 Burban with 128,000 has developed a pulsating brake pedal at very low speeds with light brake pressure at crawling stops. It is very sporadic. I can't duplicate the issue at hard braking. It feels light the ABS is engaging. It makes a noise when the pedal pulses like it's a motor or something coming on and moaning when it happens???? I'm about to replace both front wheel hub units, and also going ta get new front rotors and pads. What else could it be??? Thanks for your input.. Scott
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

From what you are describing it sounds like the abs is kicking on. This is a known issue with your truck. It is caused by corrosion between the abs wheel speed sensor and the hub assembly. I have had success removing the sensor, cleaning the mounting area with sand paper and reinstalling the sensor. replacing your hubs will also fix it. Make sure that you buy a quality hub, MOOG or Timken, not some knockoff ebay crap or you will be in the same boat in six months.
  3. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

My 99 burb has the shakes too, but only when applying moderate brake pressure above about 30 mph. I know it is definitely worn hub bearings in my case, but there are a couple more things that could cause it too. Like Pikey said, it could be the ABS sensor, or the hubs are so bad that the sensor loses its read on the indicator ring, or the rotors could be warped. Those tiny little rotors that come on the K1500 are notorious for warping because they are so small they get very hot, and the least little error in torquing the lugs will make them get all wiggly.

My Suburban came with 20" Eagle Chrome rims with 285 50 20 tires on 'em. I bought it used, and not because it had pimpy rims. Those rims have an extreme offset and they are the cause of my hub failure. The tires almost stick out from under 2 1/2" fender flares. They're about 12" wide and don't rub the frame or inner fender.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would say that pulsing at 30 mph is warped rotors. That is when you feel warpage best. Mid speed moderate brake pressure.
  5. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

They probably are warped too, but I know the bearings are toasted. I can get vertical movement in the hub.
  6. sdjonedge

sdjonedge New Member

Thanks for your help. I just purchased the hubs last week. Timken brand. I'm also going to install new rotors and brake pads while I'm at it....

Scott