1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Suburban - CD Player Dead. What now?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Jimzu, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Jimzu

Jimzu New Member

The CD player which is part of the OEM radio is dead. I do NOT want to muck around with replacing the radio.

QUESTION:
    1. Is it possible to install a 2nd CD player, and say, put it in the glove box and simply plug it into the back of the existing radio?

2. Are there CD players without the radio, faceplate, buttons, etc - that can sever as a 2nd player? I know that I've seen these things in the past that guys installed in their trunks but can't find them on the web.. Not sure what to search for.

Thanks in advance.
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

You WILL have to replace it. What you want would be even more work to do, its easy to do if you are just replacing with another OEM cd player.
  3. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts

its the easiest thing in the world tod o.
  4. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts

that involves alot of soldering
  5. cartier

cartier New Member

replacing it with an aftermarket cd is cheaper then trying to buy another oem cd player
  6. Jimzu

Jimzu New Member

But I've seen guys post about the problems that they encounter with the alarms, OnStar, speakers...etc. when they install a new radio... this is NOT my area of knowledge, but I read about having to buy an "adapter" for $150 or so... Zooks!
  7. tattooed4life

tattooed4life New Member

Salvage yard for a factory radio replacement or even ebay if you don't want aftermarket, shouldn't be to bad on the pocket.
  8. thrasher

thrasher New Member

you should be able to purchase the mounting kit & a wiring harness adapter for less than $50. Circuit city, Radio Shack, Crutchfield et al will be able to help you. VERY easy to do. Your vehicle doesn't have On Star, does it? My 2001 Silverado 2500HD did, but I swapped in an after market radio with the mentioned kits in about 30 minutes - never had a problem with it in 8 years.