2000 suburban help (with maintenace, gas mileage, performance, )

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rzkas, Dec 17, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. rzkas

rzkas New Member

hi? i just bought a 2000 suburban lt with 185k miles.

since i just bought the vehicle, i notice that when i start it the brake pedal jumps or kicks up.

what am i suppose to do to prepare this vehicle last me for a long time?

and what am i suppose to do to get better gas mileage?

and what mods am i to do to increase performance?

what am i suppose to look for?

what is your advice for me?

the center console. at the back of it, it has RAC plug in inputs what are they for?

thanks
  2. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

That's normal, at least if you have the power brakes that run off the power steering hydraulics. I think all the 2500 suburbans and maybe some of the 1500 suburbans have that system.

Lots of preventative maintenance. Get any oil leaks fixed, and change all the fluids every year or two.

Dude, nobody gets good gas mileage with a suburban. If you want good gas mileage go get a Prius or something. Suburbans are for hauling a load of people and stuff all over the place.

Depends on which engine you have and how much money you want to spend. I'm not aware of any cheap mods that make much difference. If you have an 8.1 there's a place called Raylar power systems that has modified heads, cams, and pistons you can install but it ain't going to be cheap.

Change fluids often especially if you work it hard, especially the transmission. Find and fix any leaks unless it's something like the rear main seal that is too expensive to be worth fussing with. Have the front end aligned and the brakes checked.

I believe those are for the rear seat DVD player.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The plugs are so someone in the rear seat can listen to a cd while you listen to the radio, or vice versa, It is also for the rear dvd player if equiped
  4. rzkas

rzkas New Member

it a 2500 with 6.0 . the car has a dvd player installed on the passenger side bottom center console and it has alpine screens on the headrest of the front seats. i have not tried them but i see a light turn on when the car is on