2000 Suburban Humming noise coming from front of the engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by magastos2, Mar 23, 2008.

1. magastos2

magastos2 New Member

I have 2000 Suburban LT 4x4, lately I've noticed a humming noise coming from the front of the engine somewhere in the fan or water pump. It gets louder if I rev the engine. Also I see a streak mark of coolant on the inside of the hood cover but its' dry though. I look at my Temp gage and it's normal.Not sure if anybody had this problem before. Help!!! The noise is driving e crazy.

2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site! What state is Hillsboro in?
    As far as your noise, could it be a fan clutch?

3. magastos2

magastos2 New Member

Oregon about 15 minutes to Portland. It might be a fan clutch I will check again

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It could be a number of things but that is a start.
    I live less than an hour away from Hillsboro. I live about 40 minutes North of Portland.

5. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site :sign0016:
    It could be the pressure roll from the serpentine belt it's a common thing

6. jbf00sub

jbf00sub New Member

I recently replaced both belt tensoiners chasing a humming/growling noise which was belt driven on my 00 Suburban and still had the noise. After kicking myself for GUESSING I took a long screwdriver and found the noise to be coming from the water-pump. Installed a new one and changed the Dex-cool in the process and now have 2 new tensioners to boot! Hindsight.......

7. bkovacs

bkovacs New Member

thats what I was about to say .. if theres coolant leaking from the front of the engine its almost always something to do with the water pump, unless hoses are leaking.. the pump goes faster as engine speed increases so that could be the noise your hearing... but if coolant gets on your belts it will make noise too

8. magastos2

magastos2 New Member

I finally fixed the problem it was the tensioner making noise. I was thinking was the water pump. Now everything is back to normal. Nice and quiet.