1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

2000 Suburban Power Steering pressure line replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by skongolf, Sep 26, 2013.

1. skongolf

skongolf New Member

I have a 2000 Suburban 2500 and the pressure line from the Hydroboost to the PS pump sprung a pinhole leak. I have the lines ordered (Figured I would replace the one from the Hydroboost to Rack as well). Is there any special tips or tricks I need to know about? I found a website that said it is best to access the PS pump line from under the vehicle. Just curious if anyone has done this and can give me some heads up. Thanks
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

if it is the line from the hydro boost to the pump then you might have to pull the pump off. The fitting that screws into the back of the pump is surrounded by a bracket that may make it a real PITA to get at. at least it is on my 05. After you change them you will need to purge the system of air. I just replaced the PS pump on mine a few months ago. The directions from Ac delco said that after installing the pump you should jack up the front wheels and turn the wheel from lock to lock 30 times with the truck off. I also pumped the brake multiple times to bleed the hydro booster. After that I started the truck and was surprised to see no foaming of the ps fluid. I just checked the level and put the cap on. A few weeks later I had the hydro booster replaced under warranty (again). I told the guy at the shop to bleed the system using the method above. He just looked at me and said, that does not make sense but I will humor you. When I went to pick the truck up the guy was amazed at how the method worked, it saved him about 30 minutes of waiting for the foam to subside so he could get the correct fluid level.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I am going to try this when I replace my pump. Its close to how Ive always done it but I think I always did it running.
  4. skongolf

skongolf New Member

I heard that the 2000-2002 were a different design and you don't need to pull the pump if you go up from underneath, but I havn't looked yet. I just want to make sure I get the o-rings in the right place and dont tighten things down too much.